Shore diving in the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the best thing about Grand Cayman is the wall diving, so make sure you
don't miss out on that

as to shore diving, there's some shore diving, but it's not the best in the world.
you can try Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto (right next to Eden Rock... i may have
the name mixed up), which is just outside Georgetown, by the Eden Rock
dive shop.

you can do some shorediving over at Cemetery Beach, and further north by
the Turtle Farm.

For shore diving go to Roatan, second best shore diving in world after Bonaire. Cayman is Loupy for "ride in big boat dummy".

Some good information here
http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/offshore_diving.htm

Also try www.caymandivebuddy.com

Babylon is an awesome site if you are OK with a 20 minute swim in a fairly remote location ,as are all the sites on the N.E. Coast.
Divetech at the Turtle Farm is also VERY nice.Close in "miniwall" has a surprising amount of life for such a popular site. A 15 minute or so swim will get you to the "big" wall (more of a 45 degree slope) This starts at maybe 80 feet and goes down a LONG way.
Doing the big wall,the intervening sand flats and the mini wall makes for a wonderful,varied dive although you would need a good SAC rate using a single tank to fit it all in.

A friend did this website of our last trip there
http://www.rodriguezcadservices.com/photos/cayman2004/

15 and 20 minute swims! Where's my boat.

ParrotIsalandDivers-com:
We love shore diving and have been to Bonaire several times. We’re looking for a different island and have been thinking about the Caymans. Does anyone have any advice on where to stay and how to get around to the shore diving sites?
www.ParrotislandDivers.com
marcos@scubamarcos.com

I would recommend Little Cayman Beach Resort on Little Cayman. I have been there on four occasions and have been impressed with the diving and the resort. I have never taken advantage of the shore diving but this is certainly possible with the rental of a small jeep ( or possibly with a bicycle ). Bloody Bay Wall ( a 6000' sheer drop ) is a short swim from the shore in most places and current is usually very mild. I've always wanted to do this but the dive operation makes the boat diving so convenient. I have been to Bonaire, Belize, Turks and Caicos, Keys, Dominica, etc. and this is the best diving I've found.

Charlie59:
15 and 20 minute swims! Where's my boat.

And no one hands you a hot towel either when you get out.

However you will save around $80 and not have the "services" of a divemaster telling you to come up as you have hit 111 feet.

Not for everone I agree,but if you know what you are doing and value independance ,then shore diving in Cayman is a viable alternative on some parts of the island. I am planning on being there again this summer,most likely will not set foot on a boat.

I have dove off the shore behind Sunset House and it was spectacular! An easy cruise to the 50 - 60 foot ledges but even the trip out was filled with turtles, squid, rays and plenty of fish. Of course there is the Mermaid, a small wreck, and a big cruise ship anchon as well.

They have an easy entry/exit area as well.

I agree, there is a ton of Shore diving to be had on Grand Cayman. And has been said above you can get to the 'main wall' from many of the dives with a short swim.

You can also rent scooters at Turtle Farm.

Turtle Reef is a nice location. It is right by the turtle farm and you can pick up tanks at the divetech location right there. I would highly recommend renting some scooters for that dive so you can make it to the wall (20 min swim each way) or you can just zip around in the shallower areas which still have plenty to see

Back
Top Bottom