Shore Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrwa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

My wife and I are newly certified divers (11 dives logged), and we are going to Bonaire soon. We are planning to primarily shore dive, but all of our past experiences have been from a boat. We will be staying at Buddy Dive. In preparation for our trip I have been thinking about a few questions which I will pose below. Please feel free to respond to any or all the questions. I didn't want to start six new threads. Thanks for your input!

1) How do people typically carry their tanks and gear to the water? It seems like strapping your tank to the BC and wearing it would work well unless the terrain is very challenging.
2) Is it best to enter the water wearing fins, or to put them on once in? We do plan to use dive booties.
3) Should we buy gloves to wear for entry/exit?
4) Should we use snorkels for the swim out or back? I have heard people suggest swimming on your back and to avoid snorkels as they may be confused with regulators in emergencies. I have not been using a snorkel for boat diving.
5) How great is the risk of being hit by a boat? I notice that there are a lot of boats moored near most of the dive resorts.
6) I have never done a night dive but would like to try one in Bonaire. Should I try to arrange a guided dive for this to be on the safe side?
7) Finally and most importantly: Can anyone suggest some nice shore dives that have convenient and safe entry/exit points, are easy to find, and have minimal current? I am particularly interested in photographing unique critters and reef formations.

Okay, I'll comment on a few of them:
1) How do people typically carry their tanks and gear to the water? It seems like strapping your tank to the BC and wearing it would work well unless the terrain is very challenging.
"Gear and go" works better than the alternative, at least in my experience. :biggrin:
2) Is it best to enter the water wearing fins, or to put them on once in? We do plan to use dive booties.
Carrying them in until you're at least waist deep (or so, as conditions may be) and then donning them will generally give you fewer falls. The exception would be heavy surf entries, where you may need them earlier so you can dive through the breaking waves, but thankfully that's not Bonaire.
4) Should we use snorkels for the swim out or back? I have heard people suggest swimming on your back and to avoid snorkels as they may be confused with regulators in emergencies. I have not been using a snorkel for boat diving.
Up to you, I'd imagine. You may want one so you can look down while you're swimming out, but personally, I'm annoyed by snorkels too much to wear one. I *do* keep one in a pocket, but for normal swims, I'm content with the duck-and-peek method. (If I see something really cool, the snorkel's out in a heartbeat, of course. :biggrin:)
5) How great is the risk of being hit by a boat? I notice that there are a lot of boats moored near most of the dive resorts.
I would imagine boats are not moving very rapidly near the mooring buoys, since they know there will be divers there. I've never heard of a diver being hit by a boat in Bonaire, but I'll let others who know better comment.

Hi,

My wife and I are newly certified divers (11 dives logged), and we are going to Bonaire soon. We are planning to primarily shore dive, but all of our past experiences have been from a boat. We will be staying at Buddy Dive. In preparation for our trip I have been thinking about a few questions which I will pose below. Please feel free to respond to any or all the questions. I didn't want to start six new threads. Thanks for your input!

6) I have never done a night dive but would like to try one in Bonaire. Should I try to arrange a guided dive for this to be on the safe side?
7) Finally and most importantly: Can anyone suggest some nice shore dives that have convenient and safe entry/exit points, are easy to find, and have minimal current? I am particularly interested in photographing unique critters and reef formations.

1. We always gear up on the back of the truck, add a little air to the BC and then walk with fins and masks in hand.

2. Carry your fins into the water; usually a little more than waist deep works for me. Put on your mask and then your fins. Sites where you might not do this are Oil Slick Leap(because you can do a giant stride) and Karpata(because you will want to float away from the old pier and then put on your fins.)

3. DO NOT buy gloves as wearing them is against Marine Park regulations unless you have a doctor's letter and have shown it at the BNMP office. Being caught with gloves on can lead to a fine and having your gear confiscated.

4. I keep my snorkel in case I need to surface swim but at most sites we descend early and then on return stay submerged until we are in about four feet of water.

5. There is boat traffic near the resorts and in the mooring area in town but if you descend early and stay submerged until you are almost back to shore you will be fine. There is more concern with kiteboarders at some of the southern sites.

6. You could ask at the shop that you are using about a guide for a night dive but it is also pretty easy to do one at the resorts. Try the dive during the day and "get the lay of the land". Buddy is a really easy place to do a night dive! If you plan to rent lights for night dives you will need to provide your own batteries.

7. I suggest that you get a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter for info on all entries/exits, difficulty ratings and info on what you might expect to see. It is available on island and from the author's website Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter.

Since you are newly certified, adding a camera may add an extra level of anxiety or work load. There are several shops on island that offer classes for photographers that you might be interested in.

Another thing you want to have a good handle on is your compass skills. Before you get in the water, shoot a reciprocal heading from your truck to the mooring bouy. Follow the heading out (or swim on the surface), be sure to mark some mental landmarks on where the bouy is moored as they usually start above the reef. When you get back to your landmark, folllow your recip. heading back in and you will should pop up right at your truck.

You haven’t mentioned navigation so I’ll offer this suggestion. As a noob, you might have concerns about being able to find your way underwater. Don’t.

The topography of most Bonaire (and Curacao) reefs is very simple. It’s just a hillside that happens to extend down beneath the waterline. Because of that, the dive profile used by the boat dive operations is identical 90% of the time:

1) Descend to 60-80 feet.
2) Try to maintain a uniform depth; no “sawtooth” dive profiles.
3) Swim into the current for 20-25 minutes or until the first diver reaches half a tank remaining, whichever occurs first.
4) Reverse direction, ascend to 40 feet and return to the start point. Multi-level to a shallower depth if you feel the need.

It's a simple out-and-back with a depth change at the turn-around.

The same profile works perfectly for the majority of shore dives you’ll do. There’s really no point descending much below 60 feet unless you know for certain there’s something that deep that merits your attention.

This profile also has a very high probability of returning you to the start point with enough air remaining for your safety stop and an additional margin for safety. And if you remain oriented, you can’t really get lost but it can be difficult to recognize that you’ve returned to your start point. Look for the buoy or try to note an outstanding underwater feature at the start of the dive.

Note that I didn’t say it was idiot-proof. I’m living proof that if you try to make something idiot-proof, nature just goes and makes a better idiot. :wink:

And you won’t regret getting a copy of BSDME.

Ditto to what Clayjar and Reefdiva said. Their answers are spot-on.

I was just as brand-spankin' new when I went to Bonaire this past January. I asked almost exactly the same questions you did. Nothing will be a problem for you. It's really a piece of cake down there. Enjoy yourself and be prepared to start planning your next trip the day after you get back. :wink:

I loved it so much I'm going back in June.

Yup. Sometimes you will need to stick together to give each other a handhold as you are moving over rough areas. Stand on solid ground and put your arm out for your wife as she is stepping over the big boulder, etc.

Fins after you enter unless you are doing a Giant Stride off a pier or someplace like Oil Slick Leap

Marine park rules say no gloves period. Mechanics gloves make very good reef gloves though, and are only 3-5 bucks at Lowes.

I hate snorkels, but its personal.

In Bonaire, there is very little risk. They can see your bubbles, and if they are moored near a resort, they are careful where they go. Around the marina might be a little different.

It isn't a bad idea, but you could also just dive with someone who's done it before.

All the dives will pretty much have minimal current between Salt Pier, and Karpata. Same about being easy to find. I have to suggest leaving the camera behind and just focusing on the diving though. Wait until the diving is second nature before you worry about a camera. The pictures will probably turn out crappy anyway.

Bari Reef
Buddy's Reef
Ol' Blue
Thousand Steps (hard work, but easy entry.)
Oil Slick Leap (ladder entry/exit)

Hi,

You will wear it to enter the water. For your orientation at Buddy Dive you can set-up right on the dock where there are many stout benches. Steady each others rig as you sit sown and slip into your BC. From there you can do a giant stride off the dock or enter by going down a set of broad steps that you will also use to exit.

At the dive site it will depend on a few things. Last year our Buddy truck had a rusty tailgate so we could not use it as a work surface. After you and your wife prep your rigs and are suited up the weaker diver (usually the female) can lift the other divers cylinder by the tank boot and valve as he gets into the BC. Then the stronger diver does the same for the buddy. There are many other ways of donning your rig.

There are a few sites where the drop-off to the water may be a little more than you want to traverse fully loaded. For these you can pass the rigs down and don them at the waters edge. A little strategy goes a long ways

Yes you absolutely need to be wearing booties, preferably with better than average soles. The coral rubble and urchins can make things uncomfortable. Fins of course must be open heel. With air in your BC wade out until you are somewhere between waist and chest deep. You can the either lay back and don fins in a figure 4 position or steady each other while doing it on your feet. This is a good time to be an attentive buddy. Remember that a comfortable depth for you may not be the same for your buddy. In that depth of water and air in your BC you cannot fall down. Use your snorkel or regulator while donning your fins, that will give you a little more freedom to reach down.

Not allowed. Steady each other and if there is any wave action pay attention to the timing.

The swim out is rarely very far in Bonaire but what you see below is far more interesting than the sky. I used my snorkel and would encourage doing the same.

The risk of confusing the snorkel is no reason to not use it. Remember to switch to your regulator before dropping down though!

Fortunately there won't be much neoprene on your head so you will have good hearing. Generally you will only be surfacing in depths that the boats will not be going to. Pay attention and you should be OK. We saw nothing like the chaos you can find on a lake here in the summertime.

Night dives are wonderful and you are staying at a great place to break yourself in. If you find and read a few threads here on night diving and each have the temperament to "go into the night" then go for it. At Buddy Dive you can drop in from the dock and stay in an area where there will still be some topside light. Consider starting your first one at dusk so darkness will happen while you dive. As you feel comfortable you can venture out. Getting a guide or tagging along with others are also options. If it does not feel right for one of you set it aside for a while but try again when you have more dives under you belt. Any mid sized light will be adequate in these conditions and expect to see some different and unusual critters.

You reminded me of a daybreak skin-dive I did from the dock there. I was out at the edge of the reef drop-off when schools of fish came soaring up from the depths to greet the new day. Great way to start the day!

Avoid the extreme north and south. Start anywhere and if you are not comfortable with the terrain drive a minute down the road and evaluate the next.

Have a great trip and thanks for giving me the chance to revisit mine.

Pete

You are going to have a great time. I might add that Buddy Dive offers night boat dives that might allow you to "get your feet wet" and get a feel for diving at night while with a group of people. In my experience, people tend to cluster together on night dives like these but that might be a more comfortable way to try out night diving if you do not choose to go with an instructor.

Also, Buddy's Reef is a great place for night diving. There are many lights on the shore at the resort to help you get back if you are on the surface and the area between Buddy Dive and Captain Don's has alot of good terrain for seeing critters. I am particularly fond of diving at the edge of the reef or staying in the rubble on the way back. I have seen several octopi, slipper lobsters, really cool anemomes, and many eels in this area. The tarpons around the resorts are also quite a sight. They like to swim along with you and go after fish that you shine your light on. They are very entertaining.

For the shore dives, we usually swam out to the bouy, turned around and got a bearing on the entry, dropped down to the reef and noted the depth of the blocks at the base of the bouy, which was usually between 12 and 20 feet. On the way back, once we were nearing the approximate area of the bouy, we would swim at the approximate depth of the bouy. Upon finding the bouy, we would return on the noted heading to the entry. With the way the terrain is set up on Bonaire this worked pretty well for us.

Take the entry and exits nice and slow and hold on to each other if necessary.

Have fun.

Thanks to everybody giving their input here; I also had many of these questions. Didn't know about the no gloves rule but already used to that from Cozumel.

Waiting impatiently for Susan's book to arrive. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom