Shore diving tricks and tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'ved dived mostly off boats, and in the few shore dives I've done, I found entry/exit challenging when there was anything above a mild surf, even without rocks.

Just wondering if the oldtimers here could share some tips on entry/exit during shore dives, in various conditions (surf, rocks,etc.)

Thanks.

A trick I learned on Bonaire (after flubbing around on severtal shore entries). Watch the waves and count. Usually there will be a pattern of increasing wave height with several much smaller waves following the largest. Once you figure out the pattern you wait for the largest and then enter as it's receeding. Quickly go out far enough to float (chest high) and put your fins on.

When I go to a new spot, after watching conditions for a while and selecting the entry/exit, I usually free dive the site and check it out before making a tank dive. Not only is it easier to get out without tanks if I made an error in judgment diving there, I can also check the beach formation and any obstacles which might make the exit a problem if the swell came up while I was diving.

The other advantage to this is that I still can enjoy a dive in a new spot even if I decide against tank diving.

Bob
-------------------------
I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

Put your reg in your mouth (while going through the surf; or at least have it at the ready) and only allow your bcd to be about 1/3 full (assuming you'd still be buoyant or neutral w. this amt). Walk out until you're about waist high in water before putting on your fins.

Also I grew up bodyboarding, so the concept of the "duck dive" is natural to me. I'd Youtube "duck diving" and see if you see how the wave easily "rolls" over you when you submerge at the foot of the wave. You can't do this w. a lot of air in your bcd though. You'll pop up into the worst part of the wave. Neutral or slightly negative works best.

Put your reg in your mouth (while going through the surf; or at least have it at the ready)

Try and pick a spot with little or no surf. LA County teaches snorkel only through surf to eliminate the possibility of a lung over expansion injury. As stated previously, your first entry should be with just mask, fins and a snorkel. I have gotten rolled pretty good in surf before and one breath will last for a couple of waves as long as you don't panic. Relax, when you see the brightest light coming from an area, that is the surface and one or two fin kicks will get you there. It will get darker and lighter as the waves pass over, don't surface into a breaking wave and you will have time for another breath or two. Hang on to your mask and snorkel when you get hit by a braking wave, it can and will remove any gear (masks, fins, etc.) you don't have a good grip on.

That said, don't stay in the surf zone any longer than absolutely necessary. Whatever problem you have, get out of the surf zone, then deal with it. Sitting in the surf zone trying to fix stuff only puts you and your buddy at greater risk of additional problems as you continue to get pounded. If you can't move past the waves, return to shore. If you get knocked down by a wave, start swimming, don't try to get back up. Walking out on all fours is a perfectly acceptable exit method.

If the surf is small enough for me to wade past, I will enter with no fins. With larger surf, I enter with both fins on. When I have fallen with no fins, I have put one fin on quickly and kicked through before donning the second fin (spring straps help). Minimal air in your BC allows you to go under the waves. Time your entry for the smallest waves and get past them quickly so you don't get hit with as many.

-Chocula

Last edited:
1+ on the recommendations above, but I'll put a little extra explanation on the responses.

Check some local websites on surf before you even plan your dive to get a sense of the waves. Web sites for surfers are great but they are hoping for big waves. Look for "bad" conditions on surfing sites since that means the surf is down.

If you are shore diving, before you even gear up, walk to an area from your car where you can see the conditions. Note the waves and wave sets. Pay particular attention to not only their size but the timing. Take note if there are bigger swells coming in between the usual sets. I also look to see if the water is clear at the crest of the wave just before it breaks to get a clue to the conditions. If the water looks clear then visibility may not be great, but if it looks murky then pretty good sign the viz is going to be challenging.

Also, don't be afraid to look at the waves and thumb the dive if waves are too high. My general rule is if they are 3-4 ft. or more then I'm coming back another day. I can get out no problem but fi they are that high then visibility tends to suffer and I really don't enjoy the dive anyways.

When you are geared up and at the waters edge pay attention to the conditions again to make sure the size of the surf hasn't changed. Be are of when high tide is because if the tide rises so might the waves. I was taught to have you regulator in you mouth as you enter the water, and just enough air in your BC so that you can float high enough to go over the wave or not so much air that you can also duck under the wave if needed. When going over or under a wave also make sure your hand is over both your reg and your mask so you don't lose either. I've seen many a diver lose a mask when hit by a big wave.

As you get out to the surf zone then you want to try and get your fins on ASAP once you get to about waist to chest level water. I would strongly recommend investing in spring straps. They are so much quicker and easier to don/doff your fins they are one of the few pieces of scuba equipment that lives up to the hype and is well worth the price. I've never heard of any shore diver regret the investment. One trick I've learned is to just put on one fin, then kick real hard with the single fin to get past the surf zone, then put the other fin on once you are in the clear. You can also use that fin to "paddle" as you are trying to get past waves while you are kicking. Works well for me.

The best way to handle shore dives is to first dive with someone familiar with the area and has lots of experience shore diving. Local clubs are a good resource. Then practice, practice, practice.

Hope you have fun.

What Bob DBF said is great advice knowing what the bottom looks like makes a big difference on judging the entry. 2-4 footers at a beach with a gradual sloping bottom no problem to walk right through and go but one with a sharp drop off and you might get pounded. Do some research on the beaches you want to dive and ask the locals " the ones with the old beat up gear".

+1 for spring straps. I've heard they hurt unless you wear booties. All I can think of right now is that for calm water but slippery rocks--seaweed, etc.--on shore &/or in water: Wear mask on forhead. Don't put it on first, as you want best vision possible not to fall. Don't put on backwards or hold in hands--just more to fuss with. And oh, don't do it with anyone around (ei. instructors, etc.) you don't want to see it. I said none of this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom