Short 4"/6" HP hose for AI transmitter or directly to 1st Stage?

Short hose connecting the AI Transmitter, or just screw it right to the 1st stage?

• Yup, a 4" or 6" hose has its purpose...

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • No hose needed...

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • I don't use AI, and I'm not sure why I clicked on this topic...

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noj3333

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do the people who use a AI transmitter use a short house to attach the transmitter to their 1st stage, or do they just screw the transmitter into the 1st stage directly?

I want to say I've read about some people using the short hose to avoid damage to the transmitter should a tank monkey grab the transmitter instead of the tank valve when moving a fully loaded tank/kit.

Any opinion on this????

@Diving Dubai uses a hose and QD. If I had a transmitter I would definitely be using a short hose. Too expensive to be banging around on a boat for me.

4" hose wouldn't let it hang down much, at least there's some give. It's cracking the base screw I'd worry about. A whack on the casing shouldn't do any harm if it's got somewhere to go.

I have use 6" HP hose when I had a Hollis DC2 first stage. It won't fit without. I hated the hose. It looks ridiculous and it get caught on things. My suggestion is that if you don't have to use one, don't.

I've had my PPS transmitter screwed directly into my MK25 for 6 1/2 years, 850 dives, no problems. In general, I'm the only one who handles my tank. However, I recently did 2 weeks in the Red Sea and handed up my tank to the RIB, they were very careful to grab the valve and not the transmitter. I would imagine they see them frequently.

wouldn't it get banged around more if it were dangling around on the end of a hose?

R..
Simple answer = No.

I have mine on 6" hoses with QD as @RainPilot correctly mentions.

The pressurised hose is quite rigid (so little droop), yet has enough give to protect it, mainly on deck and from people using it as a handle. It has the advantage of removing the TX from the large metal mass of the 1st stage. Even though my TX is over my left shoulder with my computer on my right wrist I've never had a signal drop (Suunto Eon)

The QD allows you to remove for transit or between dives for protection. In my case if on a multi day trip with an assortment of deco and stage tanks, rather than a TX per reg set I can easily swap between cylinders as I require. I do not need a TX per reg set

It also prevents crew from using the TX as a hand hold.

One could of course argue the point of the theoretical "additional failure point" but in practice of a significant number of dives I would say that's not the case. However I do carry a spare TX hose and QD in my save a dive, as well as a spare LP inflator and a LP reg hose. I've only once had to exchange a reg hose and that was on someone else's rig.

As a personal opinion I feel that the TX on a Hose with QD gives more options and advantages than one just in the 1st stage. However we all have different opinions and there is no right way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom