Should a dive op give you your money back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I know this, that is why I said "I let my conscience be my guide", I do not dispute everything, only what I think is right.

I feel humbled.........I have no conscience. :(

Rick Murchison:
And resolved it, yes?
This is a different deal. And they've already offered more than the contract calls for.
I really feel for these folks, but they really need to sell their trip.
Rick

So Rick what your are saying is Dive OP, can cancel the trip whenever they want and they don't have to pay penalty for it, but if diver cancels the trip diver has to pay penalty for it?

It just does not sound right, yea they did refund the money when dive op could not sell other spots, then why don't refund the money when diver cannot make it.

Harshal:
So Rick what your are saying is Dive OP, can cancel the trip whenever they want and they don't have to pay penalty for it, but if diver cancels the trip diver has to pay penalty for it?

What sort of world do you operate in? They have YOUR money! You don't have theirs! The contract that you enter into with them pretty much states that that is pretty much the way it goes!:shakehead

well, Lisa, if you use Am X, like Phil has so deftly pointed out, AM X actually has *the* money.

They are acting somewhat like an escrow company

catherine96821:
well, Lisa, if you use Am X, like Phil has so deftly pointed out, AM X actually has *the* money.

They are acting somewhat like an escrow company

And they have a contract that they could theoretically legally fight and win. But hell will freeze over and the devil will put on ice skates before they'll ever have to pay a penalty because they cancelled!

A lot of businesses get around the AmEX practices by simply refusing to accept it.

Personally, I never saw the point of owning a card that charged a $75 annual fee that almost no one accepts!

MeiLing:
A lot of businesses get around the AmEX practices by simply refusing to accept it.

Personally, I never saw the point of owning a card that charged a $75 annual fee that almost no one accepts!

All credit card companies operate in the same manner, they are federally regulated financial institutes.

We use AM-Ex, and it is free. We use it a lot, about 30-40 transactions a month with a bottom line of around $4,000. I carry other cards and probably encounter one retailer a month that doesn't take Am-Ex.

395, going up this year.

for the top one,

I am sitting the fence, have to test drive the USAA on disputes

(This is not about what should happen, but "who" has the power plays in to the question, IMV)

The ability to have power in the negotiation is a bigger plus for me than mileage even.

well, have you wondered if maybe there was "more to it"?

MeiLing:
What sort of world do you operate in? They have YOUR money! You don't have theirs! The contract that you enter into with them pretty much states that that is pretty much the way it goes!:shakehead

MeiLing – as far as I know the world I am in if the money was paid by credit card, I can always dispute the charge.
Only reason I would be disputing the charge would be, if you look at the initial post when this person did post here, most of the dive instructor and dive op asked this person to take the hit, shut his mouth and just do away with it, then I recommended that diver dispute the charge with credit card company and again the dive op and instructors showed sympathy that all credit card would do is take away money from dive op and refund it to customer.
If this dive op was honest then they could had give couple options to the customer like either full refund or take a cancellation fee and refund the balance, or say we give you store credit whenever you want to come back we will work with you.
I am not a dive op or a instructor and I am only arguing from customers prospective, why is only customer supposed to take hit and dive op gets special consideration.

catherine96821:
395, going up this year.

for the top one,

I am sitting the fence, have to test drive the USAA on disputes

(This is not about what should happen, but "who" has the power plays in to the question, IMV)

The ability to have power in the negotiation is a bigger plus for me than mileage even.

well, have you wondered if maybe there was "more to it"?

More to what? Most businesses here in Hawaii don't take AmEx simply because they charge considerably higher fees than VISA or M/C. My husband works in the banking industry here. A few years back, Bank of Hawaii, when their customers VISA cards expired, went with AmEx. Huge mistake! They lost customers who went to FHB.

Personally, I haven't had any problem negotiating disputes on my own! I can be one a pretty tough customer! Hell, I even returned a new car!:D And then they gave me the next year's model before it even hit the island for the same price!:D

When AT&T bought out my just bought 2 year Honolulu Cellular contract and tried to not honor the terms, I got them to give me 1500 anytime minutes in exchange. Kept them on the phone for two hours!:D

Like I said, I'm pretty good at resolving my disputes myself. The only time I've ever even used the dispute option on my credit cards is when I see a suspicious charge. Sometimes, the vendor that you work with isn't going by a name that I recognize. Unfortunately, to question even who or what the business is, you must start the dispute process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom