Should a dive op give you your money back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
Who buys collision insurance on a $4000 car?
It depends. If you pay $500 for the collision insurance with a $500 deductible, and you know you suck as a driver...then when you total your car, you're $3,000 ahead.:rofl3:

BTW, I got my quote for the trip insurance from the person who is arranging our trip. I'll be happy if I never have to use it and don't feel it's money wasted. Hell, I've wasted a lot more than that in my life.

Over here you're expected to pay the entire amount six weeks in advance.

And yes, I do take trip insurance. Always have, always will.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to General Travel and Vacation Discussions.

diverrick:
I thought about the credit card option, but seeing as it has already been paid out, what could the CC people do? It not like I didn't make the purchase? I was going to call them today, as well as DAN, and see what option might be available from those folks.

I have disputed payments a couple of months after the fact, and Am-Ex give me my money back within 12 hours. They refund my account and then recover the funds from the retailer.

A company might mess you around but when the CC's legal folks get involved they might just decide it isn't worth arguing over.

Just read through the entire thread and it sounds like the OP understands he is fighting an up-hill battle. If the T&Cs of the contract spelled-out no refund this close to departure, not much you can do. The credit card approach is possible, but ethically, what are you disputing -- it sounds like the dive shop has down everthing they are contractually obligated to do -- plus they are willing to reschedule.

I'm with some other people, sell your spot on the trip. I'm sure someone out there is willing to take you up on a discount for a week of diving.

I think DAN's Preferred Diving Plan also covers you for trip cancellation up to $10,000.

letsgodiving:
I have disputed payments a couple of months after the fact, and Am-Ex give me my money back within 12 hours. They refund my account and then recover the funds from the retailer.

A company might mess you around but when the CC's legal folks get involved they might just decide it isn't worth arguing over.

Having never done a big liveaboard trip, I assume one would be signing all sorts of stuff in the process of setting up the trip.

I'm sort of wondering how the CC companies handle it when there's a paper trail with clearly stated refund policies the consumer has signed off on that the consumer is in violation of? If the agreement clearly states a time window that no refund will be available, not to mention trip insurance is offered, how's that fly with the CC company when one tries to dispute payment?

I think AWAP and I are in the minority on trip insurance (at least based upon the other responses). I've purchased it once when hiking Kilimanjaro and going on Safari in northern Tanzania, but that was more for the medical evacuation than the cancellation component. Obviously when diving, my DAN insurance would be providing the medical coverage.

Yes, it is only 5-10% of the cost of the trip, but as a single line item in a budget, that is fairly high. I look at it as if the money for the trip is already budgeted and spent -- regardless of whether I go or not. So as with everything in live it is a trade off. If I "bank" the 5% of the amount I spent on vacations the last two years, it is more than enough to cover a full week in COZ for two divers. That to me is the benefit of not purchasing the trip insurance.

Dive Right In Scuba:
WHy would you try to steer others away from the dive op? Because they have a policy for cancelling trips? DO most airlines give you money back or make you reschedule? IF i want to go an a carnival Cruise and cancel 1.5 weeks before the ship leaves....would they give my money back? SHould they be bashed or blamed for it?

How about if the Dive Op gives him his money back, then they have to raise the price for everyone elses trip to make up for the loss....then there would be a thread about that....would that be right?

Rick, your talking sensible...it really sucks that your wife is sick...I would take the reschedule.....Im sure if the Dive OP could they would give your money back....but most likely your money is already in the hands of the Liveaboard CO. and your seat is paid for whether you go or not.....

Yes airline would do a full refund if I bought the ticket at full price; here was the same case this person bought the place at full price it was not discounted by dive op. Also they can charge whatever $100 – 200 cancellation fees, but flatly refusing to return the money is not acceptable.
That means from now on each diver should also have a fine print form that he should get is signed by dive op that is they cancel the tour then on top of full refund dive op will have to pay penalty for causing us in convenience.
The ppl who sign up for the cruise are not just playing around, there has to be something serious that came up and have to cancel the plan, so being the customer does he have to take a hit, I don’t think so.
Do think after this rescheduled trip this person is ever going to return to this OP I don’t think so, if the OP would had returned his money I can guarantee 101% this diver would had returned to this OP whenever he was going back again on the trip.

Harshal:
Yes airline would do a full refund if I bought the ticket at full price; here was the same case this person bought the place at full price it was not discounted by dive op. Also they can charge whatever $100 – 200 cancellation fees, but flatly refusing to return the money is not acceptable.
That means from now on each diver should also have a fine print form that he should get is signed by dive op that is they cancel the tour then on top of full refund dive op will have to pay penalty for causing us in convenience.
The ppl who sign up for the cruise are not just playing around, there has to be something serious that came up and have to cancel the plan, so being the customer does he have to take a hit, I don’t think so.
Do think after this rescheduled trip this person is ever going to return to this OP I don’t think so, if the OP would had returned his money I can guarantee 101% this diver would had returned to this OP whenever he was going back again on the trip.

I have purcahsed full price airline tickets and not been refunded for them, and I bought trip insurance - The reason I couldn't go was not a covered reason, as work related cancellations are not covered in trip insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom