"Should" and "must" in TDI standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElBacio

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello,

In the Adv. Trimix Course it is written that at least 2 dives should be deeper than 70 meters.

I wonder if that "should" means "must".

We have a very convinient place for training dives (quarry), but the maximum depth is only 64 meters. I wonder if that would be according to the TDI standards to do the Adv. Trimix course only in that quarry.

El Bacio

My dictionary lists "must" as one of the definitions of "should."

In this case there's really no other way to read the term. If they didn't want it to be 70M they would have said "If possible, try to make the dive 70M or so..."

Should means must... for advanced trimix, two dives need to be conducted between 70 metres min. and 100 metres max.

While I'm not a lawyer, it is my understanding that legally the words have different meanings. It might be wise to talk it over with an attorney and maybe clean up the language to eliminate misunderstandings.

It would seem fitting to use the word "shall" to replace the ambiguous word.

As one who has drafted statutes and regulations, I get upset/frustrated when authors confuse the various words:

may

must

shall

should

along with their negatives:

may not

shall not

must not

should not

"Should" is ALWAYS conditional.

"Must" is a command.

"Shall" is also a command.

"May" is the interesting one for it "may" be conditional or a command depending on if it is permitting an action or denying one.

"May," when permitting an action, is conditional.

"May not," when denying an action, is a command.

At least that is my recollection and understanding of the grammar rules we had for writing statutes and regulations.

Perhaps they shall do it.

:)

I also read "should" as "must", but thanks to the OP for asking the question and to Steve for answering it for SDI/TDI and clarifying their stance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom