"Should" and "must" in TDI standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should means must... for advanced trimix, two dives need to be conducted between 70 metres min. and 100 metres max.

Thank you! For a lot of people, not native speakers, such clarifications are very important.

Anyway, I do not find in the standards the limit of 100 meters max.

The "9.1 Introduction" - "The TDI Advanced Trimix Course provides the training required to competely and safely utilize (...) to a maximum depth of one hundred (100) msw". So, that sounds for me like the qualifications after the course and not course limits.

In "9.11 Required Skill Performance and Graduation Requirements" it is stated:

"The following open water skills must be completed by the student during open-water dives. It is recommended that all dives be conducted between fifty five (55) msw / one hundred eighty (180) fsw and one hundred (100) msw / three hundred and thirty (330) fsw."

It is quite common in Poland to conduct courses in one of the lakes, which is 104 meters deep. The one and the only in the country such deep. Is reaching the bottom violating the course standards?

I do believe "should" equals "must", but does "recommended" means "obligatory" ?

El Bacio

As one who has drafted statutes and regulations, I get upset/frustrated when authors confuse the various words:

may

must

shall

should

along with their negatives:

may not

shall not

must not

should not

"Should" is ALWAYS conditional.

"Must" is a command.

"Shall" is also a command.

"May" is the interesting one for it "may" be conditional or a command depending on if it is permitting an action or denying one.

"May," when permitting an action, is conditional.

"May not," when denying an action, is a command.

At least that is my recollection and understanding of the grammar rules we had for writing statutes and regulations.

A masterpiece!

As one who has drafted statutes and regulations, I get upset/frustrated when authors confuse the various words:

may
must
shall
should
may not
shall not
must not
should not
"Must" is a command.
"May" is the interesting one for it "may" be conditional or a command depending on if it is permitting an action or denying one.
At least that is my recollection and understanding of the grammar rules we had for writing statutes and regulations.

I do a lot of work with the NAVY and ARMY,
"Should" is only a recomendation and can not be enforced or audited.
"Shall" and "Must" are requirements and will be enforced as in "I Should loose weight" but I "Must" pay my taxes.

"May" is an allowance as it it allows me to do an alternative process or procedure.

may

must

shall

should

may not

shall not

must not

should not

"Must" is a command.

Thanks. I am going to pass this along to our Training Department and Legal.

In my world of code regulations should means if it can be done that's great but must is an absolute...it can not be done to any lesser standard.

"Must" and "shall" mean the same thing in my world..."should" gives you wiggle room

Steve

In Engineering speak, the only word that designates an actual requirement is "shall".

Must is not used. Should is not a requirement, only the word "shall" designates something that is required to be included in the design. This is the accepted standard for Hardware and Software design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom