Should I buy gear or take more classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all.
I am a recently certified diver who is strongly interested in taking additional classes with SSI, the only real option around Albuquerque, NM. While their are no dive locations around the city, there is one in Santa Rosa, called "Blue Hole" and it is an hour away. I would like to gain experience diving, and herein lies the dilemma. I could take more classes, specifically the so-called "Advanced" class (really four in one), the "Stress and Rescue/CPR and O2 provider" classes and eventually either the drysuit or Nitrox classes. All the time I take these classes, I would be spending both the amount required to take the classes and also about $100 a pop per day for gear (B.C., 7mm Wetsuit, Weights, Regs., Gauges, Cylinder) for my own personal use outside of the classes. Needless to say, with renting money runs out fast. Alternatively, I could buy most, if not all, of my own gear and go to Blue Hole quite often at much less than $100.
In summary, I can either take more classes or get more dives.
So the real questions are (in your opinion):
Should I
a)Take more classes, get less dives
b)Take less/no classes, get more dives
c)Buy the gear that costs most to rent and take some classes as well as a middle ground of dive amounts
or
d)Something else (I am open to suggestions).

Just some additional information: My max dive budget is ~$1500 for this year. I want to gain as much experience for the least money.
Also, any feedback on about how much a decent, complete/semi-complete gear set suitable for a new diver costs (minus computer, unless you feel it's extremely important. I like the tables) would be appreciated.

Thank you!

p.s. If there is a thread that is extremely similar please inform me of its whereabouts so I can delete this one and read that one.

Wow, 359, that is a tough one.

I am a newb - treat my advice accordingly.

Firstly, most agencies teach (and I agree) that a diver should train at least until rescue diver. You needn't do it all in one big push, but I'd suggest that you budget accordingly.

You can buy the gear that costs the most to rent, or (if you travel to dive sites) buy the gear that you would most benefit from buying. Owning your own regs and computer are a good place to start, but these items are expensive. I offer no solutions - only things for you to contemplate.

You can practice diving with someone of equal skill at your local blue hole and get good. You can practice diving with someone more skilled (i.e., get tutored) at your local blue hole and get better than good (it might cost you beer, though). Finally, you can improve your skills while taking a course.

If it were me, and if I was diving locally and I had $1500 to blow this year, I'd buy a simple rear-inflate travel BC or BP/W (about $400, possibly from scubatoys.com), my own computer (wrist-mount with large display and aggressive algorithm, nitrox compatible, about $400, possibly from leisurepro.com), a wrist-mount compass and wrist-slate ($150?) or wet notes, do 10 to 15 dives with a buddy in a local hole (rentals might chew up $300 to $400?), and try to hit an advanced diver course next year. Now, if I was traveling to a dive destination (edit: where the gear is likely used lots and perhaps not maintained well) I would be tempted to take out a loan and buy my own regs as well...

Edit: I like the idea of owning a computer rather than renting one since you will only get to know how to use it and what it is trying to tell you if you dive the same unit for many, many dives.

Blue Hole looks like an excellent place to dial in the skills you've already learned. You could get into a basic rig, including wetsuit for under $1500 easily enough.

Your LDS should be a great resource for connecting with other divers who are more experienced and willing to help a new diver out. You can also connect with other divers by attending dives organized by your LDS.

After you've dived a while, you'll likely notice specific areas you would like to improve on. This would be a great time to consider taking a specialty.

I would get the Nitrox cert sooner, rather than later, but I think you'd benefit more from diving than taking more specialties right away.

The trick, regardless of whether you are learning from another diver or by taking specialties, is in finding a good instructor/mentor.

I would try and get your own gear. You will get more comfortable in the water when you are familiar with the gear you are using. A couple of dive buddies have bought things thru the classifieds here on the board that were very good buys. Driving an hour away to go diving would be a dream for us here in Missouri. Get more dives under your belt with gear you slowly acquire and take a few classes along the way as time and funds allow.

Randy

Congrats on getting this far. I would agree with the advice to get your own gear, BUT in the mean time you should really try to rent different set ups. You can go with BCD or BP/W. As for fins, mask, etc. same thing. Try to talk with other divers and see what they like and don't like about gear. Read the board here for ideas and diver's experiences. The seemingly little things like fins, mask, and gloves can be really important I've found out!

Yes the board is an excellent place to purchase used goods. I haven't read of anyone getting really stiffed. Plus you can always ask lots of questions and ask for pictures. People will tell you I wouldn't purchase a computer or regulator because a of various issues. The primary ones being lack of warranties. However, if you know what you want and are patient you will save lots of money that you can put towards gas for traveling to dive sites, and additional training that you mentioned.

So dive some more. Figure out what you want from dive equipment. Talk to divers. Rent different equipment if you can. And have fun.

I'd get your own exposure protection and computer. Exposure protection, because it has to fit to work well, and computer because you can learn to read it and start using it to log your dives, if you want to. A very good computer is the Aladin Tec 2g, and someone here on SB just bought one new for $277, which is a very good deal. It's Nitrox capable, so it can grow with you as you start doing more aggressive diving.

You can learn a lot by just doing a lot of diving, but you can ingrain bad habits, too. Whether the classes are worth it depends a TON on who the instructor is, and what he's teaching. If the classes are the typical "go through the knowledge reviews, do the dive and whatever you do, you pass" kind of classes, you're probably just as well off by hooking up with some more experienced divers and just going diving. Buoyancy control is only learned by practice, anyway!

By the gear and go diving. Diving is the the best way to learn to dive. Dive the blue hole until that is completely comfortable. On your budget you could even drive out to San Diego or LA and dive for a weekend. Do read up on gear before buying however so you have no regrets.

Get gear, dive more.

In my opinion, used gear is a viable option, especially to start out with (as long as it's inspected/serviced *after* you get it). I don't know what Blue Hole is like, but where I live diving tables is not at all limiting for a novice diver like myself. A basic reg set or a BC can often be found under $100. That said, your budget is significantly higher than mine was, and given a budget of $1500 I would have likely done things differently.

Classes are great, but classes without practice is sort of false progress, and owning gear is an incentive to dive whereas renting gear is a disincentive to dive. After I bought my gear, I started diving weekly.

for sure get your own wetsuit and a BCD (try few first) so you can dial-in your buoyancy.
then go diving as much as possible.
and take that Nitrox class as soon as possible.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I think you should dive as much as you can. No substitute for time logged underwater.

Dive with different people and keep an open mind (watch out for people who tell you there is only one way to do something or there is only one piece of gear that is right and all else are wrong). A good Mentor/Instructor can be very important.

Don't stress buying the exact right gear. Whatever gear you buy you will learn how to use it and become proficient at your gear. Either way you will learn a lot about gear from your first setup and then know what new gear you want. It just takes experience and literally 'jumping in'.

Definitely buy wetsuit MSF. Next look at Reg., BCD, computer. Taking classes at a good shop can be a great way to log more dives and many shops offer gear deals along with the class. See if you can't find a balance between taking some classes and a nice package deal on gear. You should be able to do that with your budget.

Also if you hook up with some more experienced divers, they won't mind lending you some gear when you go diving before you decide on your own purchases.

Some of the best diver I know are only open water certified, that being said I recommend all divers to try to achieve at the least their rescue cert. But once again being rescue certified doesn't mean much if you have no experience in the water other then the classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom