Should I dive in Nusa Penida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpm6t

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be in Bali for a short family vacation (6 days) in first week of August and planning to squeeze in 2-3 days of diving. I will be staying in Mercure Bali Legian and was hoping to dive Nusa Penida, mostly with the hope of seeing Mola Mola fish and Manta rays. Some of the info I read on the web says Nusa Penida diving is only for advanced/experienced divers.
I have PADI AOW certification, but only about 30 dives. I will be adding about 6 - 8 more dives before my Bali trip, but is this beyond my reach at the moment?

You will be ok.

The word ‘advanced’ is meaningless in the holiday diving game.

The favourite site with the Mola Mola has a risk of current, so if you are terribly unfit i5 might be difficult. The level of diver skill at Manta Point/Bay/whatever was shockingly poor, people who hadn’t spent enough time in a pool and had literally no idea. I think it might have been the first or second open water dive for one person on my boat.

I will be in Bali for a short family vacation (6 days) in first week of August and planning to squeeze in 2-3 days of diving. I will be staying in Mercure Bali Legian and was hoping to dive Nusa Penida, mostly with the hope of seeing Mola Mola fish and Manta rays. Some of the info I read on the web says Nusa Penida diving is only for advanced/experienced divers.
I have PADI AOW certification, but only about 30 dives. I will be adding about 6 - 8 more dives before my Bali trip, but is this beyond my reach at the moment?

If things go well - no problems. It's a great spot !
It IS susceptible to strong currents in some sites, and more scarily, strong down currents. We had one roaring dive there in a current and covered the drift dive site in 9 minutes. The other group (an AOW class) surfaced with all 3 students clinging to the instructor having been forced down twice when trying to ascend (it was a beautiful sawtooth profile on their computer...).
All the other dives we did there were extremely calm (and pretty).
By all means go and enjoy, but be conservative and if there's a current I'd stay on the boat.

Not if you go with a reputable op - it's lovely diving. Have fun just do your research and contact a good op who will decide on sites suited to you. By mola mola and mantas I assume you are aiming for crystal bay - lovely divesite just listen to your guides if you do dive there. Plenty of other great sites at NP too.

Be sure you are aware of the water temperature in Crystal Bay at the time of your visit. A 3mm wetsuit may be sufficient but some may want more.

I recommend Octopus Dive, a locally owned dive centre on Nusa Penida.

Also, be sure to visit Penida Colada for breakfast and Sunset cocktails. Book your table in advance for sunset cocktails.

Penida Colada is across the road from Octopus Dive Centre :wink:

Pick a good dive op. I personally haven't experienced a big down current at crystal bay but the dive op ive used there warns us and schuduls around the tide. Manta point can have a bit a surge pulling you back and forward and can bit disconcerting. Advanced site in that max depth in below 18m and you don't want complete newbies there which some ops do take so avoid those. I've seen as low as 20c there and up to about 26c I take a 5mm.

Nusa Penida and Tulamben are the two places I try to always dive on my Bali trips

We did a dive at Nusa Penida in Crystal Bay, and that site was sheltered with very little current, but the second dive between there and Nusa Lembongan had a ripping current, fortunately with no down currents. My wife was a fairly new diver and she did fine on the dive. I am glad I did not take my camera on that second dive, and just enjoyed the fast ride. The underwater current was so stiff, when we finished the dive, we had to wait more than just a few minutes for our boat to catch up with us. Too bad we were there outside of the Mola Mola season. Good luck seeing them.

For a surface interval day, plan a visit to Angel's Billabong natural tidal infinity pool at low tide.
Take flip flops (the rocks are sharp) and swim wear! At high tide you shouldn't attempt to go in.

IMG_0710.JPG

Just go too far into the blue when you see mola mola in Crystal Bay. Stay close to the reef & be ready to fin towards to reef.

I was once saw my bubbles went down to the abyss at 30m. Did underwater rock climbing.

August is perfect timing for mola mola sighting. Check out the date on the picture, below (taken at 43m depth). The best periods are within 3 days before to 3 days after the full or new moon. Unfortunately that’s when the downcurrent happens the worst.

I have been there about once a year for the last 10 years, including Manta Point & Tulamben.

Good luck & have fun!

15D0B76A-B5B8-4966-BAAF-05599897268D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom