Should I get an old new wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say that if the suit fits, go for it. I lucked into a couple suits that had been sitting for years for $25 apiece from a local former instructor last fall. The 3mm steamer had only been in the water a couple times (purely a vacation suit), and the other is a thicker (can't tell if it's 5mm or 7mm) John/Jacket that he used for his cert dives in quarries.

The only problem I ran into is that, after getting them home, I realized the John/Jacket doesn't like my ample thighs. It doesn't have much stretch, and I've got a skin on the way to see if that helps me fit into it (and if that doesn't work, Weight Watchers probably will). Stupid mistake on my part, but I was on the way home from work when I picked 'em up, and didn't feel like stripping down on the spot.

Sounds like you've got an opportunity to make sure the suit fits, though, so go for it.

It they are that stiff and don't stretch "at all" they could get uncomfortable in the crotch and arm pits. Maybe semi to severe chafing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom