should I poke holes in my hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLWeek

Contributor
Reaction score
hey, I got a new excel semi dry suit and the hood is attached but dosn't have any holes in it. should I poke some? how many should I poke?

How about taking it for a dive first and checking if you even need a hole in it.

If you find the hood is trapping air on ascent then one small hole in the in the top is all you need.

I find a Soldering Iron does the trick very well

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
How about taking it for a dive first and checking if you even need a hole in it.

If you find the hood is trapping air on ascent then one small hole in the in the top is all you need.

I find a Soldering Iron does the trick very well
chris I've had this problem with air getting trapped as well , and while I don't have a soldering iron .. I have tried to use a hole punch but it didn't reach where I wanted the hole.. and was considering a cut with a knife ... just a small one

take a big wall nail with pliers and heat it up on the stove until it's red. then push it right through the hood, two holes will be enough, one on the top, the other slightly behind (since you are swimming horizontally, right?)

My preference is to take an exacto knife and heat it enough to seal the edges of the lycra. It produces a 1/4 " slit rather than a hole and it is more or less self sealing when air is not bubbling through it as no matrial is removed or melted as it is with hole punch or heated nail.

good call aquamaster

I would recommend the same thing as Aquamaster, but cut a + on the hood. That way it will vent the air, but flap back down.

Good luck

thanks everyone!

I think I will go with the slits first and if that dosn't do the job then ill turn them into +. thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom