Should Tech instructors have to teach Rec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anybody should be required to teach anything they don't want to, but I think it would be great if tech instructors DID teach recreational classes from time to time (I believe GDI does). They would bring some of the insights and approaches of technical diving to their rec students, and as an article in the DAN magazine last year observed, there are quite a few things from technical classes that are good to teach to recreational divers.

I don't think somebody has to be a rec teacher before teaching tech. I think a good tech ITC can probably impart enough teaching skills and experience handling students to allow someone to teach what they know. I'm not sure helping people learn to set up basic scuba gear and do fin pivots would help develop a tech instructor.

Thought this would be an interesting debate to kick the week off!

Do you feel that tech diving instructors should be required to teach recreational diving to become a tech diving instructor, and do you feel that they should have to continue teaching recreational courses after they start teaching tech?

OR do you think that the instruction is so different in tech diving that it really doesn't matter?

I'd like to hear from students and instructors alike.

I would like to know the point of the question?
What are you wanting to really know?

I would like to know the point of the question?
What are you wanting to really know?
Just curious to hear everyone's opinion. Some agencies require this, and some do not.

rjack, just to expand here a little, what about if the instructor taught a course like intro to tech or fundies instead of recreational courses, would that be OK for you, or do you feel they need to start at BOW?

Ummm I would say recreational BOW classes should look alot more like fundies or Intro to tech (in a single tank) than they do right now. More of that stuff, like good trim and kicks should be in the BOW/AOW sequence. If it were encouraged by the rec agencies, maybe more tech instructors would view BOW classes favorably. Instead of "boring".

I think it is a plus to any technical instructor to come with a well rounded recreational teaching background.....if they then decide to only teach tech courses that is fine.

I feel that becoming a tech diver has made me a better rec instructor. But it shouldn't have to be manatory for a tech instructor to teach rec but a good instructor would want to teach or help with rec class not limited to open water classes but all con ed classes. I think 1 helps with the other and student benifit from the experences of the instructor.

Just curious to hear everyone's opinion. Some agencies require this, and some do not.

Fair enough. Me, I think that the experience I get teaching OW students is invaluable.
If nothing more it teaches me patience and persistence. I also learn a lot about when people are going to freak by watching the eyes and body language and I imagine teaching tech, which I don't yet do, there are those that freak.

I have never really looked into the prerequisites to teach Tech but I assumed teaching OW would be a starting point but like I said, I have never looked into it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom