Shoulder joint replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
Old age and arthritis have taken a toll on my shoulder(s)... Been fighting it for a couple of years now and still have some hope for options to delay, but there is a strong probability that 2023 will be the year for a new shoulder. Ortho believes reverse will not be necessary. I believe I recall her mentioning max 40lb lift, but no real talk about pull/twist, like climbing the dive ladder or pulling lines on my sailboat. Anyone have had shoulder replacement and continued to dive? Changes to the way you dive?

Paul Heinerth had both of his done, he stopped diving doubles after that but is still cave diving pretty much daily. He was never much of a boat guy but did quite a bit of it on backmount CCR after his were replaced.

Reactions: mbs
Paul Heinerth had both of his done, he stopped diving doubles after that but is still cave diving pretty much daily. He was never much of a boat guy but did quite a bit of it on backmount CCR after his were replaced.
Thanks. Yea, shore diving is less of a worry, but that boat ladder can be quite different! We had some rough seas last month in the Caymans and I thought about it hanging onto a ladder with the boat pitching...

Thanks. Yea, shore diving is less of a worry, but that boat ladder can be quite different! We had some rough seas last month in the Caymans and I thought about it hanging onto a ladder with the boat pitching...

Hey Mike - we had two guys with “new” shoulders on that same trip in LCBR. They removed their gear in the water and the buff DMs hauled their BCs back onto the boat.

Hey Mike - we had two guys with “new” shoulders on that same trip in LCBR. They removed their gear in the water and the buff DMs hauled their BCs back onto the boat.
Hi Cliff! Betsy does that every so often. New knee and hip! But I'm still wondering about a pitching ladder without my gear on....

Maybe consider side mount and have someone in the boat lower your tank to you, then they pick it up before you climb out of the water.

I think it all really comes down to the rotator cuff condition
Really? Why is that? I'm worried about failure of the implant itself. Right now I have been living with a partially torn ( self diagnosed) rotator cuff for 30ish years. So your thought is the strength of the rotator cuff trumps the strength of the implant?

Two shoulder replacements here! You might check with your Ortho doc, but when I had mine done, the 40# lifting limit was only for a certain time during the recovery/healing process. I have never had a problem climbing a boat ladder with my replacements, or carrying items greater than 40#.

Two shoulder replacements here! You might check with your Ortho doc, but when I had mine done, the 40# lifting limit was only for a certain time during the recovery/healing process. I have never had a problem climbing a boat ladder with my replacements, or carrying items greater than 40#.
Outstanding, thanks! For sure I will ask her for more details as I get closer!!!

Back
Top Bottom