Shoulder joint replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really? Why is that? I'm worried about failure of the implant itself. Right now I have been living with a partially torn ( self diagnosed) rotator cuff for 30ish years. So your thought is the strength of the rotator cuff trumps the strength of the implant?
I had a knee replaced, asked how soon the implant would take for full strength, the answer was as soon as they were done, it’s the soft tissue that suffers most, I was diving 33 days later.

the shoulder is not a strong mechanical joint, from my understanding (3 shoulder repairs) and the rotator cuff is what holds everything together but I’m not an orthopedic surgeon.

Reactions: mbs
Can't comment on the shoulder replacement....... but I did have a left full hip replacement 14 months ago and basically can't believe I didn't do it sooner... I was basically diving and golfing within 4 months days of the op...and at this point I can still climb the dive laffer on my boat in full dry gear and weights, 120Hp with a 19 Pony. I'm 68 and in pretty good shape. Tropics are a breeze.. My left shoulder is probably next. Having an MRI in two weeks and will then decide if it's surgery or not.

The 40-50 lb restriction is for using both shoulders, with a 20 to 25 lb limit per replacement shoulder.
I am doing everything I can to avoid having the replacements.

Kind of depends on the amount of repair and how your body responds to the rehab. I have calcific tendinitis with complete cuff tears on both. I had my first surgery in September of 2021. They opened up the shoulder, scraped out the calcifications on the tendons, and removed the end of the collar bone. They reattached the rotator cuff and then released my bicep and reattached it lower and a bit under my arm to allow for more movement. I spent six months in physical therapy and then shown the door. While it does not work as well as I would like, the shoulder works fine for whatever diving I want.

I had a deep cyst that redeveloped down into the muscle on the back side of the shoulder so they went back in about three weeks ago and had to dig all of that out.
65E2FE1D-A013-4674-85E9-DC6038BF225E.jpeg

I feel Ok and was able to do my CCW quals a few days after so it’s not too bad. Still need to do the right shoulder but I am putting that off until the pain becomes unbearable or I can clear a few months to be in a sling. I must say this, I have had a number of surgeries and procedures over the years but that initial shoulder repair was the most painful yet. My neighbor had his rotator cuff repaired and he was outside shooting baskets with his grandkids three days after surgery. If they start cutting bone and moving muscle, it’s going to be uncomfortable and you will be down for several months. Good luck and have fun.

Ugh, I guess I'm not alone trying to kick this can down the road for as long as possible... pot dispensaries should be opening nearby soon :wink: One last try coming up to convince my dermatologist to put me on biologics. I tested negative for psoriatic arthritis, but last winter I tried samples for a few months and was the most pain free in years!
Thanks for all the comments folks. I was a little encouraged when my ortho said I would start rehab the week after surgery!.

I had physical therapy a month before and six months after. I think I waited two weeks or so after surgery. They told me there would be three small incisions but after the surgery I see they added a nice four inch one down the front of the shoulder. You will be fine, just something you have to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom