Show off your Bp/W rigs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard a lot of the freedom plate. What is the advantage over a normal SS plate? say Halcyon or DSS? Especially in cold water, heavier plate + STA may be a good thing.
I have a stainless Freedom Plate, an aluminum Dive Rite (Used for doubles), and have had a stainless Halcyon, and a stainless Dive Rite previously. Take your shirt off put a Freedom Plate on with a tank, then do the same with most any other plate and you will understand the Freedom Plate is much more comfortable. For single tank diving I have not found anything as comfortable. I also prefer my older plate Freedom Plate as it is wider. It is plenty stable on my back even with an HP130. There is an angled rail I made for the back that is filled with lead adding in another 5 lbs. Adeline's plate also has a wedge weight of 3.25 lbs.

You are a DIR practitioner. We were not here, we did not post.

-apologies, Frank Herbert.

Not sure if this is refering to my previous post. It was a genuien question. Since I have never dive one, and it is not something easy to obtain, so want to know why people like it.

I have a stainless Freedom Plate, an aluminum Dive Rite (Used for doubles), and have had a stainless Halcyon, and a stainless Dive Rite previously. Take your shirt off put a Freedom Plate on with a tank, then do the same with most any other plate and you will understand the Freedom Plate is much more comfortable. For single tank diving I have not found anything as comfortable. I also prefer my older plate Freedom Plate as it is wider. It is plenty stable on my back even with an HP130. There is an angled rail I made for the back that is filled with lead adding in another 5 lbs. Adeline's plate also has a wedge weight of 3.25 lbs.

hmm, very interesting, I wish I can tried one. Too bad it is not commerially available. Was it ever made in AL? AL seems to make more sense for warm water/travel purpose. Since it is most likely be used with no exposure suit.

Not sure if this is refering to my previous post. It was a genuien question. Since I have never dive one, and it is not something easy to obtain, so want to know why people like it. ...//....

My sincere apologies to you. I have a lot of DIR friends, the one thing that they share is a blind addiction to 'sanctioned' equipment.

most refreshing.

Agir-Brokk 38# wing. Love it. Concentrates air a bit towards top of tanks, which offsets nicely top-heavy doubles (wings that bellow at the bottom can trap air there, esp when you are horizontal, something that can tip you a bit forward). I use this wing with my twin MP72s and, yesterday, for the first time with my new twin E7-100s. I own three doubles wings: Agir 38#, OMS 45# (single bladder), Halcyon 40# Explorer, and this is my order of preference.

The BP is a small DSS SS plate. Yesterday switched to a small Halcyon SS plate, which is about 1.25" longer than the small DSS plate. After only one dive on the Halcyon plate I do like it better. The additional length positions the tanks better on my back. Also, the Halcyon plate is narrower, especially at the top, so the shoulder straps start closer together and therefore rest more securely on my shoulders (one reason the Freedom plate and traditional plastic backpacks are so comfortable). The straps used to run off my shoulders a bit on the DSS plate, which is wider at the top.

Will be diving the Halcyon plate with my 40# Oxy Mach V (singles setup) in Catalina this Sun - Tues (yup, I have more lift on my singles setup, though the Mach V is so slim and trim that you can hardly notice, and I doubt the Mach V actually gives you 40# of lift anyway, as it cannot expand fully because it is so slim; much less drag in the water than a Halcyon 40# Eclipse, which I dove for 4 years).

P1250527.jpg

Last edited:
...//...The BP is a small DSS SS plate. Yesterday switched to a small Halcyon SS plate, which is about 1.25" longer than the small DSS plate. After only one dive on the Halcyon plate I do like it better. The additional length positions the tanks better on my back. Also, the Halcyon plate is narrower, especially at the top, so the shoulder straps start closer together and therefore rest more securely on my shoulders (one reason the Freedom plate and traditional plastic backpacks are so comfortable). The straps used to run off my shoulders a bit on the DSS plate, which is wider at the top. ...//...

I agree with your assessments concerning the BP's.

Made my BP longer and more adjustable. Had the same issue with comfort on the shoulders. Oddly enough, angling the shoulder straps OUTWARD 8 degrees made the straps fit my shoulders very well and tuck nicely under the arms. BP no longer moves around on my back and I can easily doff and don the rig even in a drysuit.

Lowered the crossover point so that I don't have to burn any holes in the webbing, easier to adjust.

I also like to set and forget the straps. The BP's dual slots and weight keeper system for adjusting the waistbelt/shoulder straps were always creeping when I tightened the waistbelt, wouldn't notice until I started rolling due to angled tanks. Replaced that system with four slots on each side. Rock solid, no slip.

Does it qualify as an Halcyon if the inflator hose was changed by one that doesn't make you feel like you are asking for something when you want to deflate the wing?

This is 11 ~ 12 years old, still working great, only problem I had was with the inflatable mat I keep in. Don't remember what was the actual issue but they exchanged it for a new one within a year or two from the purchase. Wonder if their customer service is as good as it was back then, I've heard otherwise but fortunately haven't had the need to test it.

At last....gear that looks like it's been used. :D

Plate covers half the lower exhaust valve. Don't like that at all. Nice colors, though.

Not sure about you, I was only joking.

The exhaust valve would be floating up, away from the plate though.

Back
Top Bottom