Show off your Bp/W rigs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it would float up, and when you ascend or tip your rear up quickly the valve will bang, or slam, back down against the plate. And who knows what happens in a rough surf (shore entry/exit) or when you jump off a boat? And you might have to reach behind the plate to find the cord. Or the cord could get pinched or snagged behind the plate and involunatarily dump your air. Bad design, in my view. Though in most instances it will work fine.

Not sure about you, I was only joking.

The exhaust valve would be floating up, away from the plate though.

Yes, it would float up, and when you ascend or tip your rear up quickly the valve will bang, or slam, back down against the plate. And who knows what happens in a rough surf (shore entry/exit) or when you jump off a boat? And you might have to reach behind the plate to find the cord. Or the cord could get pinched or snagged behind the plate and involunatarily dump your air. Bad design, in my view. Though in most instances it will work fine.

I was a little worried when I first assembled it, so much I even considered notching the plate. However, in real life it's been fine. Even when bobbing on the surface I have never had the plate interfere. I hadn't considered the rough surf thing, but it's my travel warm water wing, not an everyday use item.
When diving i've never felt like i had to reach behind the plate. I use the dump valve almost exclusively and have never had it catch. I do however plan to remove the toggle, just hadn't done so for that photo.

Im not sure if this pic is much good, but it does show just how far the wing comes away from the plate in real use
http://oi48.tinypic.com/2vt19up.jpg

I was a little worried when I first assembled it, so much I even considered notching the plate. However, in real life it's been fine. Even when bobbing on the surface I have never had the plate interfere. I hadn't considered the rough surf thing, but it's my travel warm water wing, not an everyday use item.
When diving i've never felt like i had to reach behind the plate. I use the dump valve almost exclusively and have never had it catch. I do however plan to remove the toggle, just hadn't done so for that photo.

Im not sure if this pic is much good, but it does show just how far the wing comes away from the plate in real use

You will be fine.
If you find yourself in a situation where it is so rough to the point that the wing would swing so violently against the plate to the point where it would break the exhaust valve, trust me, that would be the least of your problems.

Nice trim btw.

IMG_2662.JPGIMG_2664.JPG

AGIR aluminium plate with Oxycheq Mach V 18lb
Hollis plate with Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 30lb

WOW! This is an oldie. More recent pic of same doubles rig with bigger wing (far left)

RIG_Peacock1.jpg

As I said, in practice you will by and large be fine. But the design is not ideal, because it can emerge as a "potential" problem in certain situations. And if the plate did not cover the valve the problem would not emerge in those situations. I tend to be picky with my gear, even though not all aspects of it are DIR (eg, look at my 19" corrugated hose; and I do use one brass boltsnap :shocked2:).

Besides gnarly surf or jumping off a boat (for a couple years I did spearfishing dives in Taiwan where we occasionally entered by jumping off a pier ~15' high in full scuba regalia), the wing will close tightly on the valve when you fully inflate your wing, say on the surface. Perhaps the main concern in those instances is where that pull knob is when you inflate. It could get pinched in a manner that opens the valve. If you're aware that it "could" happen then you can easily enough fix it if it ever does.

I hadn't noticed that earlier. As with mahjong it would make me uncomfortable knowing the condition exists. Before notching the plate, I would consider using a STA. I'm not familiar with the particular wing and plate very much, but most that I'm aware of have multiple holes and grommets to adjust height.

You might end up covering part of the hog logo on the wing though. I don't know if your issue is the plate or wing, but I know the plate is a common oem marketed by a number of companies. One would think if the rig is sold as a sta-less package there would have been some consideration of the apparent conflict.

I have an 18# oxy wing (tiny as they come) mounted on a standard dive right plate and the opv clears it.

An initial version of my FP/W (Freedom Plate & wing) setup is shown and described in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...cussions/350126-freedom-plate-first-dive.html.

Things have changed a bit over time, though: The black webbing has been changed out for blue. The Y-valve has been changed out for an old 300 Br DIN valve. The power inflator has been changed out for a Scubapro AIR II (w/ custom AIR II inflator hose), and the octopus 2nd stage has been removed from the single first stage. A quick release has been added low on the left shoulder strap. An old DiveRite harness pocket has been added to the left waist strap (for tables, slate, Storm whistle, etc.); this pocket is pulled around front as needed, but generally worn pushed back, above my left hip. (Note: I do NOT use a crotch strap.)

I've worn this current configuration for a few months now for freshwater, shallow- to moderate-depth, solo dives using an old steel PST 72 (71.2 cu ft at 2,475 psig) and an O'Neil 3/2 jumpsuit. This configuration is extremely "friendly" and comfortable.

If anyone wants to see, I'll try to upload a pic of this current configuration this weekend.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

IMG_0219_(Medium).JPG

oxycheq SS bp, oxycheq 30# extreme single tank wing.

I know I "should" have a crotch strap, but I have never felt like I needed one. Everything stays in place no matter what orientation I'm in.

View attachment 130150View attachment 130151

AGIR aluminium plate with Oxycheq Mach V 18lb
Hollis plate with Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 30lb

The 18lb and 30lb seems to be about the same size. How much lighter is it? I have the 30lbs one and was considering switching to smaller wing for traveling. I love Oxycheq wings.

I travel with one luggage and 70% of the weight is always the diving gear. Want to reduce it as much as I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom