Shutdowns - breathing down vs. purging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:)
I was always conflicted too about what to do during Fundies.

Tom

gas, breathing, and not having your buddy drown exceeds looking slick and holding your depth to impress your fundies instructor, imo...

There's a point where its not clear whether you're helping someone more by staying put or rushing in. My fundies buddy was my wife, and she got upset at me a couple of times for rushing in when she was still under control. I detangled an SMB a couple times for her, and I grabbed her arm a couple times when she started drifting up during some of the drills. I got an especially evil stare when she was rescuing me, and we started drifting up a little fast, and I vented my BC to slow down. I think her exact phrase to me was "You can't even play dead, can you?"

If there obviously in trouble, its a no brainer. It's the in-between scenarios I always have trouble with.

Tom

There's a point where its not clear whether you're helping someone more by staying put or rushing in. My fundies buddy was my wife, and she got upset at me a couple of times for rushing in when she was still under control. I detangled an SMB a couple times for her, and I grabbed her arm a couple times when she started drifting up during some of the drills. I got an especially evil stare when she was rescuing me, and we started drifting up a little fast, and I vented my BC to slow down. I think her exact phrase to me was "You can't even play dead, can you?"

If there obviously in trouble, its a no brainer. It's the in-between scenarios I always have trouble with.

Tom

in-between you want to be giving communication.

level #1 is holding a depth reference
level #2 is signalling to come up or come down
level #3 is halting a ballistic ascent by grabbing your buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom