Sick of family get togethers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catholic? Go anywhere you want, just introduce them to the bar and you can hit the waves. Seriously, Cancun is great for just such a thing, and its cheap too. There is PLENTY for the nondivers to do (I loved seeing the ruins of Chitzen Itza (god have mercy on my soul for bad spelling) and there is a VERY happening night life there and shops to visit in the daytime, and you can dive (now its not the best dives mind you, its no Maui, but at least your diving). You can also get the rest of those heathens PROPER resort diving lessons and get them wet as well. Good luck!

It's against community standards to post what I think about family and family outings.

It's the cost of marriage (or sould I say sex !!!).

Fortunately my wife understands this and I am only required to attend one per year. I even get a pass of the "Big family" beach trip and can go off and do a liveaboard that week.

Luckily for me, most of my immediately family are either dead, disabled or live so far away that they aren't a bother or an expense since they are all college grads and professionals (wealthy) and sorta ignore me. I was the only one who didn't make it it seems. I was a bachelor, working electrical construction all my life so that now I can come and go as I please. I took up scuba just lately and I can't think of a better way to spend my retirement money. How do you spell halleluya?

almitywife:
[hijack]did i mention that my parents in law live right next door, hubbys brother lives 10 houses up the street and his other brother lives 2 houses up from him[/hijack]

You poor soul, how do you survive? I would go crazy.

TimAZ:
Thanksgiving and Christmas is a gruelingly dull experience every year for my family. to try and improve on this, my siblings & I have agreed that next year we'll spend a week at a resort someplace to liven things up a bit. The problem: I have relatives who (shudder) don't dive. I know, I don't understand it either, but I can't just disown them over their "lifestyle choice." Where can a group of about 20 people (yeah, we're Catholic) go where there is good diving and is good for non-divers as well. Greece maybe?

Good luck.

Don't be surprised if you are seen as self absorbed inconsiderates for not spending every moment waiting to do things with the clan, however prosaic. I hope they undersatnd the essence of seas, tides, boats schedules and all that our fun revolves around.

Been there, done that, never again.

TheWetRookie:
You poor soul, how do you survive? I would go crazy.
to be honest.. i can go weeks without seeing the inlaws next door.. hubby and i have very busy & seperate lives

but

its good to get my ironing done every week by dear o' mum :D

i think we should acknowledge that there are some families out there that like eachother and more shockingly they want to spend time together......i dont understand it but i acknowledge they do exist and they should be applauded

my sister rang me once to complain as her 3 adult sons and their wives were joining mum and dad on a cruise they did 2 years back... she said at the time, 'i should be grateful that they want to spend time with us but i thought once i got them off my hands and moved house they would get the hint :wink: '

TimAZ:
Thanksgiving and Christmas is a gruelingly dull experience every year for my family. to try and improve on this, my siblings & I have agreed that next year we'll spend a week at a resort someplace to liven things up a bit. The problem: I have relatives who (shudder) don't dive. I know, I don't understand it either, but I can't just disown them over their "lifestyle choice." Where can a group of about 20 people (yeah, we're Catholic) go where there is good diving and is good for non-divers as well. Greece maybe?

Have you considered taking a cruise-ship vacation with an itinerary that hits a few dive spots? Cayman, Cozumel and Belize are common waypoints in the Western Carib. USVI and BVIs, St Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia are common in the Eastern itineraries. Okay, it's not a real dive vacation, but it's a decent option for groups with diverse interests and abilities. Everybody spends a lot of time together but can do their own thing at the ports of call. With a group of 20, you could probably get 4 free spots along with other credits, add-ons and amenities.

When I travel with my in-laws, a cruise is the only vacation that works for us. We can each do our own thing or stay together. On the shore excursions hubby and I dive while the in-laws do something else, then we all get together for dinner. A cruise isn't the best for diving but you can get some good diving in while maintaining the peace with family.

Natasha:
Hi Tim:
What's the agreed budget for this trip, and are there kids involved?

I want to keep it under 2k Per person (well under if I can swing it). Ages run from 10 to 75

Thanks for the interest

fabasard:
Catholic? Go anywhere you want, just introduce them to the bar and you can hit the waves.

Did I mention we're Irish Catholics? (Where do Irish Catholics go on vacation?------To a different bar.):D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom