Sidemount Equipment Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dives4Fun

Registered
Reaction score
I know that testing gear would be the best option, but that is very limited.

We have 1 dive shop that teaches sidemount and they only have Hollis gear and they want a very high price for that gear, the training and rental of that gear. This is why I travel to other places to get training on specializations.

After looking at the benefits and drawbacks of sidemount, I feel that it would be beneficial for me to train it up next year.

I am considering the Hollis Katana (lightweight, travel friendly) but have some questions maybe someone can answer. It takes me 40 lbs lead with my neoprene drysuit and a single back mounted aluminum tank to sink in freshwater. It takes around 24 lbs lead to sink in salt with my 3mm shorty with the same gear. Given these figures, would it be possible to use the Katana with dual aluminum (80 cu ft each) given its extremely small amount of weight pocket capabilities?

pls remember the katana and other hollis sm systems were basically designed by florida cave divers. these fellas regularly dive with heavy steel tanks not allum. so the systems were not designed to carry significant amounts of extra lead.
without getting into a long debate about this, my suggestion would be, if you were set on using allum tanks to look at other options for your bc and harness.
something like the xdeep stealth (just for example) can carry a lot of extra lead quite easily.

Agree, if you’re only looking at al’s then there are far better rigs than the Katana for the money. When I’m diving cold water (drysuit, lots of lead) I use the xdeep stealth tec, lots of options for weight. Also, the T weight system from Subgravity can be fit to most systems and can hold up to 40 lbs. if you are doing both cold and warm water a simple harness system with different bladders might be the best choice. Devon Diver here on SB has a great comparison of just about every SM system out there.

Thank you for the additional information. I really wish I had the option of trying out various gear types - its so hard to determine whats right or not. I will do a search for Devon Diver posts as well.

Right now the best system could be Xdeep Stealth 2 Tech, especially for diving in a wetsuit when the bcd is more significant for maintaining a good trim.

If you are are interested in the XDeep Stealth Sidemount gear - then book a trip to Tulum or Playa del Carmen Mexico. Go see Protec at either location. One of the owners of those shops is also one of the designers of the Stealth Sidemount system. And they are a first class shop. Enjoy. :)

the xdeep and apeks have a spine weight pouch that holds up to 16 pounds or so iirc. dive rite offers a weight plate for the nomad. i would consider those options if you need that much weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom