Signed up to take my OW certification dives this weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six Feet Under

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tried Discover Scuba a few weeks ago, and after wanting to get certified since I was about 9-10 years old, I found myself asking one question...

WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS SOONER?!

Breathing underwater is probably one of the top three coolest things I've ever done. I learned to swim when I was three and have been snorkeling ever since; a couple weeks ago I had the money and decided what the hell, I'll give it a shot (DS was free that weekend at the shop near me, I actually ended up going back the next day and doing it for free again) and I'm glad I did. I think every spare minute I've had off work where I was awake I've been reading my materials and I can't wait. Class will only be me and one other person, which is cool. That should give me a good bit of personal time with the instructor in case there is anything I have a problem with.

Welcome to the addiction!

Turning to 30 I was asking myself the same question:)

Anyway, you can change your name soon to Sixty feet under:wink:.

Enjoy every bit of the training, and don't forget:
each minute out of the water is just a surface interwal!

I tried Discover Scuba a few weeks ago, and after wanting to get certified since I was about 9-10 years old, I found myself asking one question...

WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS SOONER?!

Breathing underwater is probably one of the top three coolest things I've ever done. I learned to swim when I was three and have been snorkeling ever since; a couple weeks ago I had the money and decided what the hell, I'll give it a shot (DS was free that weekend at the shop near me, I actually ended up going back the next day and doing it for free again) and I'm glad I did. I think every spare minute I've had off work where I was awake I've been reading my materials and I can't wait. Class will only be me and one other person, which is cool. That should give me a good bit of personal time with the instructor in case there is anything I have a problem with.

I'm going to say it'll probably take me a while to get comfortable going 60ft down, but only because I want to make sure I have the basics down pat before I go deeper than about 30 feet. Water doesn't make me nervous, but being that far down sort of does right now. I know that will come with time and practice though, just like anything else. Once I was actually in the water in the DS class, everything came a lot easier than I thought it would - our instructor kind of ran over the time limit (by about two hours) and started teaching us some of the skills you learn during the first part of the OW class.

Welcome to the club. From the moment I breathed underwater for the first time, it has been an addiction.

Congratulations and enjoy the weekend!

Good luck on the weekend. Starting with 30' dives is a good idea. My guess is soon you'll find that going deeper than 30' will just seem natural. Of course the deeper you go the faster your air is used, so planning is a must. When I dive 30' or less I do frequently check air out of habit, but almost always the dive ends because of cold, tired, whatever. Especially when going deeper, it is advisable to go with a competent buddy. A CESA is doable from 30 feet, but deeper and you want a secure alternate air source. Funny, I still get a bit uneasy when swimming from the beach and approaching water over my head, yet I have done deep dives with no such fear. Maybe it's having a tank with me.

I'm sure I will find it natural soon too. I also plan on purchasing a Spare Air or pony bottle as money allows once I get the rest of the gear I need to start diving... I'm a big fan of redundancy and backups.

Enjoy the course.

BTW - Skip the Spare Air, if after you finish your course you still feel the need for a redundant air supply then go straight to a proper pony bottle. (And find someone to teach you how to use it properly) You'll be glad you did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom