Similan/Surin/Mergui liveaboards in Oct/Nov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katz

Reaction score
Hi,

Could somebody recommend a liveaboard which is going to Similan, Surin, and then to Burmese Mergui Archipelago around Oct/Nov for around 6-8 days total?

TIA.

The website for Siam Dive & Sail (google them) should have the schedule for most of the liveaboards. I don't know if anybody goes up to Mergui that early though.

Generally earliest trips to Mergui are in November. This year the weather in Thailand/Myanmar was not very friendly in November - lots of rain, swells, etc. For me, Ocean Rover is the boat of choice. No other boat in its class.

The weather right at the start of the season is a little unpredictable. Last year we still had bad weather in November. The year before, it was all over by mid October. Remember that in the Mergui Archipelago you are a long way from anywhere. At the Similan Islands you are just an hour away from land by speedboat, and there are always boats around, plus you can always shelter from wind behind the islands. Plenty of Similan boats start in October, but I would wait as long as you can. Best time is really February - early May if there's any way you can change your dates.

If it's your only time, well..

Faah Yai starts Mergui trips end of October

Sai Mai starts first week of November.

The Faah Yai and Sai Mai are both "Burma dedicated" boats with experienced staff who know the area very well, especially Alain, the tour leader on Faah Yai. These trips are Burma only (no Similan).

Other boats such as Mermaid 1, Nautica, Anggun, Philkade which run combination Thailand/Mergui trips start mid-end November. Earliest trip on any of these is 9-18 November on the Nautica.

We decided to exclude Mergui for now. So what are recommended liveboards for Surin/Similan/Richeleu rock. And it's good to have nitrox onboard as well.

Thanks.

Check with www.sunrise-divers.com
They have a great website and lots of boats and schedule to choose from.I've used them twice and would recommend them.

Plenty of choice for the Similan Islands. And these days many boats have Nitrox on board. In the higher price range, the Philkade is a good bet. The Master cabin is not cheap, but is surely the nicest cabin of any liveaboard in the area. In the mid price range, I would go for the Queen Scuba, though they do only 4 day trips, but again try to get the Master cabin, or the Mermaid II, which has 6 day combination trips including the Similan Islands and Hin Daeng. My favourite liveaboard (biased a little as I did half a dozen trip on it) is The Junk. There are a lot of good experienced tour leaders on boats, but I think maybe Jay and Kay on The Junk are the best, though Rich on the Queen Scuba is also great.

PS - Apologies that the web links above do not have updated schedules. A new web design is on the way very shortly, which will have 2006-2007 schedules.

There are lots of options to go to the Similans, depending on the price class you are looking for. At Thailand Liveaboards you will find a lot of boats, with updated schedules:wink: .

My personal recommendations: West Coast for a basic but good value for money boat, Jonathan Cruiser for a basic boat, but always excellent atmosphere and the food is really fabulous, Mahe for a cheap option where you will have bathrooms en-suite, Queen Scuba, excellent value for money, good staff, good atmosphere, Nitrox, Jazz, new boat, Junk, Philkade, one of the best boats in the area, and the Nautica.

We are heading to Burma in Dec-Jan for the 9 day liveaboard trip on the Mermaid I. I hear that dynamite fishing & netting are big problems... Has anyone seen any of the horrible affects of this on Burma dive sites? Any special precautions we should take?

As an aside, we went on the West Coast Explorer two years ago to the Similans... No frills boat but super, super crew & trip. Would definately recommend.

Back
Top Bottom