Similans recent experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haiawata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Bangkok for a meeting early December, and will have 7-9 days for diving after. I have never been to Similans, and want to try them. I have heard they are/were a great dive but the vast number of boats going there on schedule (just a google, and this might wrong) looks too much for a good and not over exploited diving destination. If you have had a recent experience with Similans, please give me your feedback. If you might recommend an operation, this would be even better. My other choices for the diving part of this trip are Indonesia or Philippines.

Cheers everybody,

Went there in March, going again in Nov. It's decent diving out there on a liveaboard. I personally had a better time in the Similans than in Maldives.

I thought the Similan Islands themselves were decent, worth seeing. It was the other islands like Koh Bon and Richelieu Rock that were amazing. Koh Bon is in decline, as you can see large patches of dead coral where it must once have been incredibly beautiful. It's still better than the Similans, but must be far from its former glory. Richelieu Rock is still amazing. Have yet to visit Hin Daeng or Hin Muang, but will get that crossed off the bucket list in Nov.

There are a lot of boats, but everyone tries to spread out so you usually get no more than 1-2 boats in the same area at once. On the Similans themselves, we often were the only boat at that dive site, since there are so many to choose from. Others like Koh Bon and Richelieu Rock can get a bit crowded. Good buoyancy and safety sausage is a must for your own safety.

I've dived with the DiveRace E, had a good experience with them and will dive with them again shortly. They are towards the upper end of the price range though. You may also want to look into the Pawara as well as they have supposedly the greatest value for money. Book early as many boats, especially the Pawara, fill up incredibly quickly. I would avoid the South Siam unless you really want to save money (or it is the only thing that fits your schedule) as that is really a cattle boat.

Other scubaboard regulars like StevenL would have a far better understanding of the operations there.

I haven't tried the day trips from Phuket to Phi Phi or others yet. Liveaboards are so much more relaxing.

Went there in March, going again in Nov. It's decent diving out there on a liveaboard. I personally had a better time in the Similans than in Maldives.

I thought the Similan Islands themselves were decent, worth seeing. It was the other islands like Koh Bon and Richelieu Rock that were amazing. Koh Bon is in decline, as you can see large patches of dead coral where it must once have been incredibly beautiful. It's still better than the Similans, but must be far from its former glory. Richelieu Rock is still amazing. Have yet to visit Hin Daeng or Hin Muang, but will get that crossed off the bucket list in Nov.

There are a lot of boats, but everyone tries to spread out so you usually get no more than 1-2 boats in the same area at once. On the Similans themselves, we often were the only boat at that dive site, since there are so many to choose from. Others like Koh Bon and Richelieu Rock can get a bit crowded. Good buoyancy and safety sausage is a must for your own safety.

I've dived with the DiveRace E, had a good experience with them and will dive with them again shortly. They are towards the upper end of the price range though. You may also want to look into the Pawara as well as they have supposedly the greatest value for money. Book early as many boats, especially the Pawara, fill up incredibly quickly. I would avoid the South Siam unless you really want to save money (or it is the only thing that fits your schedule) as that is really a cattle boat.

Other scubaboard regulars like StevenL would have a far better understanding of the operations there.

I haven't tried the day trips from Phuket to Phi Phi or others yet. Liveaboards are so much more relaxing.
Very good and complete post :) For Koh Bon you'd have to stay away from the bay to have nice diving with still nice corals.

If the OP would like assistance or has some more questions, feel free to ask, either here, via PM or via email.

Dived with Scuba Cat many many yrs ago on MV Scuba Adventure twice, thoroughly enjoyed it. However, they are still using the same boat after all these years so I am not sure about its present conditions.
Day trip from Phuket really means a day trip.

Thanks everybody. How is diving on Similans compared to Moalboal, Bohol, Apa atoll, or Malapasqua? I would prefer a 3-4 days live aboard in a cabin for two or one, and about the same shore dives. Can you suggest a destination in Thailand that best fits this schedule? Can you suggest a particular dive operator that fits this bill?
Thanks again

From Phuket you can do the liveaboard and really nice daytrip diving. A single cabin is really expensive, but there are really good value boats where you could share a twin cabin.

Thanks everybody. How is diving on Similans compared to Moalboal, Bohol, Apa atoll, or Malapasqua?
We all have different opinions on everything. I know all those places in Philippines very well but I would suggest you should try Similan and then draw your own conclusion. You will enjoy it.

Apa atoll? Apo Island or Apo Reef?

Thanks, Centrals. No, not Apo Reef, this is my plan for the next summer. Do you have recommendations for dive operations going to Similans, and also providing with a good quality local dives?

Thanks, Centrals. No, not Apo Reef, this is my plan for the next summer. Do you have recommendations for dive operations going to Similans, and also providing with a good quality local dives?
#4.
Local dive sites around Phuket are rather limited in selection. Scubacat and few others have their ownboats so select the operator carefully because you do not want to be on a day boat with 30+ divers.

yes from past experience, when diving in thailand, make sure the dive operators have there own boats,
done phuket day trips this year with a very bad dive centre, got loaded on a hired boat, with 50 divers,
absolutey terrible, gave them the sack, and done the rest of my diving with sea fun divers, there own boat
and only 12 on it with 2 guides, so a recommendation for them,
just had a very nice chat with a german guy at a dive show, who owns sea bees diving out there
seems to have a very professional out fit, and there own liveaboards, so may go in february 2017,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom