Simple question about removing backup regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My .02 here. Do some reading..."Solo Diving" by Von Maier and the SDI Solo manual if you can get a copy. Or even better take the course. Many of the points in this lengthy thread are covered in depth in both books.

And something I learned after a bunch of dives with my slung 19 pony...switch it to DIN vice yoke. Removing the bulky yoke knob makes it much more streamlined....but DIN vs Yoke is a whole other thread :)

My .02 here. Do some reading..."Solo Diving" by Von Maier and the SDI Solo manual if you can get a copy. Or even better take the course. Many of the points in this lengthy thread are covered in depth in both books.

And something I learned after a bunch of dives with my slung 19 pony...switch it to DIN vice yoke. Removing the bulky yoke knob makes it much more streamlined....but DIN vs Yoke is a whole other thread :)

Unless his pony comes with a pro valve and his regulator already has a yoke adapter on it, converting his regulator and valve to DIN is a lot of money to eliminate a knob. I'm sure there are better ways he could spend 150 bucks.

One other thought would be to ask some questions in the Spearfishing section of this board to see what folks in your geographic area are doing (as far as equipment config. with regards to what works best when spearing).

My spearfishing days were long ago and far away (Hawaii, back in the 70's - 80's), so any info I could provide is, ahem, "dated" (just like me, :D ).

Best wishes.

My spearfishing days were long ago and far away (Hawaii, back in the 70's - 80's), so any info I could provide is, ahem, "dated" (just like me, :D ).

Best wishes.

Lead, you are not dated, you are vintage. Remember, vintage things go up in value!

I am very excited! I returned my 3.0 spare air, and I got my 19cf pony bottle, and a sweet "X bracket" and extra tank strap that makes mounting the pony to my primary tank literally a 20 second job!

I got a button pressure gauge that screws directly into the 1st stage so I can make sure the pony is full before I get wet but at the same time don't have to deal with any additional hoses.

I ended up upgrading to a better 1st and 2nd stage then I was originally going to get. I Got the Oceanic GT3 Sport. I chose this because it has the flowrate adjuster thing (forgot what its called) so I can have that set pretty tight when not in use to try to cut down on freeflows. I swapped out the original hose for a 40" hose.

All new equipment, all exactly what I wanted... and it was only about $200 more then the spair air.

I removed the backup 2nd stage from my primary setup.

So now a new question. It will be mounted on my right side ( attached to primary tank) so I can route the hose under my right arm and put it where the backup 2nd stage used to be. I was planing on dropping a pound of weight for my next dive as I am still fine tuning my weights. This tank is supposed to add the equivalent of two pounds to me. So here is my question. I plan to remove two pounds of weights from my weight integrated BC (because the new pony is making me 2 pounds heavier) Because the bottle will be mounted to the right side of my primary tank, should I remove two pounds from the right side of my weight integrated BC by my waist and leave the other side alone? Seems like this should be the right answer, but as this thread has taught me several times I should never ASSUME anything!!!

thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
More info to help you help me.

Before the pony I was using a total of 22 lbs of weight... thinking I was still probably about a pound or two heavy. I am 6'3'' 275 lbs.

I have 8 lbs in each of the side weight compartments in my weight integrated BC... then I have 3 lbs in each of the back shoulder weight pockets in the BC. So prior to the pony bottle I had 6 lbs of non ditchable weights, and 16 lbs of ditchable weight.

On second thought, it would probably make more sense for me to remove 2 lbs from my right back shoulder weight... since that is pretty much where the extra weight of the the pony will be anyway... then I will still have the 16 lbs of ditchable weight.

Last edited:
Regarding weighting: Assuming 22 lbs was "perfect", it looks like you are heading in the right direction. You'll just have to see how you "trim-out" with the pony tank mounted, then decide how you want to distribute the weight....

Since you are mounting the pony to the tank, will you be able to easily reach the valve (are you mounting it valve-down or valve-up)?

The only other thing I can think of is to practice "deploying" the backup reg from the pony a few times just to make sure it goes as smoothly and quickly as you think it will, and so the mechanics of deploying it gets to be 2nd nature. Practicing a few times will help you sort out any final adjustments before the "real deal". You can practice on land (what I did) 1st, but then should practice regularly in the water too (a good way to kill a few minutes at the safety stop).

Have fun with your new toys!

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom