Singapore Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers Night at Singapore Hard Rock Cafe is coming up this week. Friday 2nd April 7 - 9:30 pm.

Bring Certification Card for discount on food items. There is also some diving trips, fins... etc to be won. Not sure what they will put you through to earn it!

Helmut Debelius writer of several marine guide books will be in Singapore, Ngee Ann City, Kinokunya Bookstore. Wednesday 7th April 2004. 6pm - 7pm.

If interested take out your relevant marine guides for book signing.

Just back from Kuantan Wreck, saw a massive black ray and a few groupers, a lone stone fish and general space filling extras. No penetration. There was some black liquid that looked like oil or petrol seaping from the wreck. And on the top of the ship the metal plates are rather unstable and move with the flow of water.

Given the choice I'd visit Seven Skies again but not Kuantan.

Kuantan is shallow and not much to see, not much to do. Two dives was enough.

Where did you go over the long weekend?

Sorry Balckice but you really have to be nuts. It's true there are no real penetration options for the Nichi Asu Maru (sometimes referred to as the Kuantan Wreck) but it is an absolutely fantastic site brimming with wonderful creatures. I've never been disappointed on a dozen or so dives there. The hundreds of morays at the site is enough to keep me interested but you can often also see marbled rays, schools of large cobia, several shovel nosed rays, honeycombed rays, turtles, huge groupers, massive helmet crabs, stone fish, lion fish, leopard sharks..... Are you sure you were at the right wreck???? Most of the time at the Seven Skies, you can only see some bat fish, more bat fish and schools of bat fish.

Incidentally, the Nichi Asu Maru is the perfect divesite for Nitrox diving. Because of the flat sandy bottom, you can't get deep enough for toxicity to be a problem but at 85' you can really extend you bottom time if you are not a heavy breather.

Finally, yes, that is oil that is leaking from the wreck. Avoid swimming through it or you will never get you gear cleaned. It's one of the hazards of the wrecks but every wreck has things you have to be careful of.

Maybe we had a poor day to dive it, the whole trip was so-so, as it was rather hard to find interesting creatures. Yes we saw turtles, cuttle fish, rays, eels, bat fish etc. .. but they were few and far between.

That said maybe because it was the first dive of the year for many of us we were expecting more ? But that said I was speaking from the angle of exploring the wreck the animal life is secondary when I state that I'd dive 7-Skies over Kuantan Wreck.

We saw a boat (MV Oriental Queen) that was upside down during the weekend, we had seen it the day before at the Kuantan Wreck site. Only now does the story come out.

MV Oriental Queen (a malaysian registered live-aboard) met an accident last Saturday at about 1.00am. *The boat was ship wrecked in Pulau Sepoi off Tioman. *All crew and divers were unhurt and have since returned home safely.
It was OQ's first trip of the season after a refurbishment and new equipment added. *..

Hi guys,

I'm new here. thought i'd just say hi. :)
just gotten my open water at redang(msia) last week...i'd have some qns, hope u can help answer.

-is naui better or padi?
-i think i was ripped off...as the prices i paid for the lessons are pretty exp...
-can anyone recommend shops in singapore that sells diving gear in singapore? i'm looking to get a wetsuit, booties, fins, mask. :wink:

Anvil, You can always start new threads. I never understood why this one is kept alive anyway. That said, your first question regarding padi vs naui could generate significant heat if posted elsewhere. IMHO, they are both pretty decent certifying agencies, particularly for recreational diving. It's much more important to find a good instructor than worrying about whether they are padi / naui / ssi / cmas / ymca / bsac, etc.

Second question, there are three shops in the basement of lucky plaza and three in the concourse. these are good places to shop. you may also want to look at the more singapore-based forum at http://www.finsonline.com/vbulletin/index.php3?s=

blackice:
Maybe we had a poor day to dive it, the whole trip was so-so, as it was rather hard to find interesting creatures. Yes we saw turtles, cuttle fish, rays, eels, bat fish etc. .. but they were few and far between.

That said maybe because it was the first dive of the year for many of us we were expecting more ? But that said I was speaking from the angle of exploring the wreck the animal life is secondary when I state that I'd dive 7-Skies over Kuantan Wreck.

Was there Saturday, we had pretty good dives, current was good, the big turtle wasnt at home but there was some nice big rays (jenkins whiptail i think) out on the sand, you had to swim away from the wreck to find them. Someone else saw the big grouper (up close and personal), and also a big black blotched (marbled) ray was seen, the usual morays scorpionfish and lionfish about. You need to hunt about but in this region it is one of THE BEST spots for BIG FISH

7 skies had some current running and only saw batfish there and the strange DrMike Fish which was sat on a swing under the MV Grace, i do like the Skies though.

Disapointment of the weekend was not seeing the eagle ray at mallang biru (AGAIN)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom