Single diver new to Coz...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hrsedoc

Reaction score
What is the difference between Blue Angel and SCC? I am a relatively experienced diver, female, will be travelling solo this trip. Thinking about end of this month. I do like to stay in a comfy hotel (nice bed especially). I like walls, drifts, pretty reefs. Probably won't do photography on this trip.

I would also take a look into Aldora divers and their Aldora Villa. I have spoken to a couple of single females who went that route and both seemed to enjoy it. I can speak highly of Aldora, but have not been to the Villa. Everything I've heard about it has been positive though, and others will chime in here with reviews I'm sure. Mary, didn't you visit Maria or someone there on your last trip? (she will answer...she lives in her too :)

SCC gets good reviews as well though...but I have never used them so can't speak from personal experience.

All of them will take you to the dives you speak of...it is very difficult to find a dive on Cozumel that isn't worth doing.

When I was visiting Villa Aldora in July there were two single female divers staying there alone... Palegicsal (Sallye) and a woman from New York (Marie?). Caretaker Melissa was there alone without her husband along with Peggy lending a helping hand. Very safe place. I would not have a problem sending anyone there alone. Dave the owner of Aldora and the Villa was there with his family. I was traveling with one of the owners of the company I work for, along with his friend Roy and my friend Mark. Dave and Memo went waaayyy out of their way to make sure we had a good time. Upon leaving everyone had the attitude of when we would be beck as opposed to if we would be back. There is a great deal of camaraderie that goes on there. After diving there is almost always a impromptu "post dive briefing" that takes place under the nice large palapa. Aldora divers will take you diving where ever your abilities will allow. Have fun whom/where ever you choose.

Villa Aldora

Aldora Divers of Cozumel

Last edited:
I would also take a look into Aldora divers and their Aldora Villa. I have spoken to a couple of single females who went that route and both seemed to enjoy it. I can speak highly of Aldora, but have not been to the Villa. Everything I've heard about it has been positive though, and others will chime in here with reviews I'm sure. Mary, didn't you visit Maria or someone there on your last trip? (she will answer...she lives in her too :)

SCC gets good reviews as well though...but I have never used them so can't speak from personal experience.

All of them will take you to the dives you speak of...it is very difficult to find a dive on Cozumel that isn't worth doing.
The Aldora operation is excellent, but be advised that it is significantly more expensive than BA or SCC.

I too, am a big fan of Villa Aldora (& Aldora Divers). Yes, maybe a few dollars more than some places, but I 'ditto' what Prop Joe posted "Upon leaving everyone had the attitude of when we would be beck as opposed to if we would be back. There is a great deal of camaraderie that goes on there. After diving there is almost always a impromptu "post dive briefing" that takes place under the nice large palapa."

We're making our 4th trip to Cozumel this year in November and once again staying at Villa Aldora --- which should really speak for itself about how we feel about staying at the Villa. As for the dive op, MY reasons for choosing them as my favorite op (and yes, I have used a few other popular ops on the island too)---I have ALWAYS felt comfortable with Aldora Divers and since I don't always travel with a 'dive buddy' (husband is a non-diver) it is very important to me (and him) to feel 'safe'. I am supportive of the 'ascend together' rule, safety is the reason since we often surface when some dive boats are just arriving to the dive site (every now and then we also 'picked up 'stray' divers at the surface searching for their dive boat). Memo and the rest of the DM's are well aware of my skill level and unless I request otherwise (I do enjoy working with and diving with friends just learning to dive), I've always been on a boat with divers of similar skills.

Bottom-line, no matter what decision you make about lodging or dive op, have a great vacation in Cozumel!

Check out Cozumel Coral Reef Inn for decent and well placed/priced lodging and some good package deals for diving through them or an operator of your choice. Let Jerry and Leona know you are travelling solo and they will look after you. Any questions pm me. Have a great trip, it's the one place I always go back to!

This board is awesome! I'm glad I joined. I am gathering all your opinions and I'm sure I'll have a great time. When I asked about safety, I really meant topside. I am pretty comfortable in the water, but of course want a good captain and DM and other experienced divers on my boat!! (Is that asking for too much??)

Will Aldora take groups of similarly experienced divers to some of the more "interesting" dive sites??

My Dad (who is now 79 and may be done diving after 50+ yrs) thinks Coz is for tourist divers only, is not world-class, and said if I go I should make sure I will be w/ a dive outfit that will take me to the less touristy dive sites for experienced divers only...

Will Aldora take groups of similarly experienced divers to some of the more "interesting" dive sites??

You bet ya!, at least once they determine your skill level. From my experiences with Aldora, SCC, and BA, I think your chances of getting to the extreme ends of the marine park are better with them. They are also the only dive outfit that "I know of" that will take divers to the east side of the island when weather permits. They are more costly on a per dive basis, but, with the 100 and 120 cu ft tanks they supply, the cost per minute of being underwater has got to be close to even with the other outfits. I like them and plan on diving with them again in October. However, I also like Blue Angel very much, and Blue XT Sea, but, for different reasons. SCC is also good and has a lot of loyal fans, but they have the hardest beds I ever slept, or tried, to sleep on.

Just "my opion", based on "my experiences" with each outfit I mentioned. I'm sure you will develop your own favorites once you get hooked on diving Cozumel and find yourself returning time and time again.

turk9

Back
Top Bottom