Single Tank Wing Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcellreceptor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I just bought a Dive Rite Transplate from a fellow scubaboard member. This is my first BP/W setup. I mostly dive singles (AL80's) in Monterey, California. It's cold here, so I want a wing with at least 30 lbs of lift, but not something too big/bulky.

Leisure Pro is selling an OMS 32 lb wing for for $214.96 (OMS Single Bladder without retraction bands 32 lb. lift). A (not so) local dive shop is selling an Apeks wtx3 wing for $174. I'm trying to decide between the 2. I'm leaning towards the Apeks wing, mostly due to price.

What do people think about these 2 wings? Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

I dive the WTX3 on my single and it's great. One thing to check though is the fact that the kidney dump wraps around the cylinder quite a bit. So if you're not that flexible you may find it difficult to reach if you prefer to use your kidney dump. You will find this to be the same on most wings when using a single cylinder.
Also depending on what BC you are diving at the moment you may find the inflate button is on the opposite side of the inflator which may take a couple of dives to get used to. (same as the OMS though).
Also there has been a safety recall on the inflator . This takes the LDS 5 seconds to check. Just make sure they have done it before they ship it out.
Other than that highly recommended and it seems like that's a good price.

The OMS wing consists of an outer cover and the inner bladder (as you can see from the description at Leisurepro). The Apeks WTX3 doesn't have this outer and inner cell. Like most "normal" BCD's it consists of one bladder made from 840-denier nylon.

But as long as you're not going for wreck- or cavediving, this doesn't really matter:wink:.

Here in Europe a lot of people like the Apeks because it's good quality and (especially in Britain) available for a very competitive price (compared to OMS, Halcyon or others).

If you can get the WTX3 for 174$ it's a good deal (cheaper than in the UK!).

Would recommend that you investigate a donut wing, rather than horseshoe. They tend to allow better air migration and dumping from horizontal.

Hello all,

I just bought a Dive Rite Transplate from a fellow scubaboard member. This is my first BP/W setup. I mostly dive singles (AL80's) in Monterey, California. It's cold here, so I want a wing with at least 30 lbs of lift, but not something too big/bulky.

Leisure Pro is selling an OMS 32 lb wing for for $214.96 (OMS Single Bladder without retraction bands 32 lb. lift). A (not so) local dive shop is selling an Apeks wtx3 wing for $174. I'm trying to decide between the 2. I'm leaning towards the Apeks wing, mostly due to price.

What do people think about these 2 wings? Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

I don't know if OMS or Apeks wings would fit a Dive Rite plate, but several people have been able to use Oxycheq wings successfully with Dive Rite plate.

Backplate and Wings - Wings - OxyCheq Wings - 30# OxyCheq Single Tank Wings - Northeast Scuba Supply

I have a DR Travel EXP for diving singles (27# lift) that is a bladder/shell design. I have to agree with DevonDiver that a donut design (ring) is far superior to the older "horseshoe" as dumping air shouldn't be something that you have to think about, or have any trouble doing quickly. Look for something with an offset inflator hose, donut as opposed to horseshoe. Also, are you diving dry or wet? Figure out your bouyancy requirements before pricing anything.

*I'm not sure why Dolphin is selling the Apex for $174, a closeout maybe?

I will also throw my vote in for the donut style... although horseshoe is 'functional' you will be so much happier with a donut when it comes to dumping air without doing the horseshoe rock-n-roll :wink:

i'll also +1 on the look where the OPV sits on the tank with regards to dumping. Some such as the Eclipse have it in just about the easiest place ever (I've never found a wing that dumps as fast as the 30lb eclipse) and others have it in a place that you have to grab and tug and such to dump.

not all wings are created equal, figure out the lift you actually need and don't be tempted by more (bigger isn't always better), and a good deal isn't always such a good deal.

I thought the WTX3 was a donut. At least it looks that way in photos.

I do most of my diving these days in Monterey, CA. The water temp is in the low to mid 50's (about 12 or 13C. Therefore, I wear a 7 mm farmer John/Jacket with gloves, booties, hood. I think I could almost walk on the surface of the ocean dressed like that. I usually have 30 lbs of lead on my waist.

If properly weighted, I think 30-32 lbs of lift should be sufficient, although I'm a little worried that it won't be enough to float my bc on the surface, if all lead is in the bc.

I'm going to use the setup with a S/S backplate. The next time I travel, I'll probably buy an Al backplate and maybe even a smaller wing.

I don't know why Dolphin Scuba is selling the WTX3 for $174. But I am pretty tempted to go for it. Unless, I end up finding a used halcyon or oms wing for <$200.

thanks for all the advice.

Yep, WTX3 is definitely a donut. The larger Apeks wings are all horse shoe. I dived it with a 7mm wetsuit with a SS BP and 6kg in weight pockets. I have also used it with a 2kg P Weight on the Backplate. A P Weight sits in the v of the BP. It allows you to take some weight off your belt and allows you to trim a bit better.
I paid $198 for mine in the UK 2 years ago so it sounds like a good deal to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom