Single Tank Wing Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RUFUST

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking of putting a single BP/W set together for fun shallow dives.With all the new lower lift, single designed wings out there I am looking for opinions on the best and worst.

Thanks

What size of tank will you be using? I use Dive Rite's Rec wing for my single steel 95. Oxycheq and the big H (Halcyon) have some great single tank wings as well.

I use a Dive Rite Transplate with a venture wing and a steel 130 tank. Love it! Only an add'l 4 lbs needed when in a 3mil and sea water.

ppo2_diver:
I use Dive Rite's Rec wing for my single steel 95.
I have a rec wing but wouldn't recommend it for singles. I works great for double AL80s, but not very well for singles. If you remove the gusset cords the wing is too large for singles, even large singles like a steel 95. If you leave them one, I found that, ironically enough, they trap air.

You'll be much happier with a wing designed specifically for singles and singles only.

I've been using the Halcyon Eclipse #30 for single steel 12L tanks and it works great.

RUFUST:
I am thinking of putting a single BP/W set together for fun shallow dives.With all the new lower lift, single designed wings out there I am looking for opinions on the best and worst.

Thanks
a couple of this to consider,what type of suit will you be using? 3,5,7m? what manufacture of wings are you considering? how much weight will you be wearing? have you considered a wing with a backplate? if so what type of back plate, stainless steel or alu.? i dive a dive rite rec wing with a stainless steel back plate it lets me tak 9# off of my weight belt. i don't use the intergrated weight pockets, i use dui's weight harness setup that they make. i dive the rec wing both with single's and doubles, and have had 0 problems. i can't say anything about halycon or oms, i haven't used either. i know that both dive rite and halycon make lower lift wings. both can be interchanged with back plates. if you don't like the back plate dive rite makes a soft pack called a trans pack. it will work only with a single tank and not doubles. do your research, spend the money once not twice or more!!good luck, ken

cornfed:
I have a rec wing but wouldn't recommend it for singles. I works great for double AL80s, but not very well for singles. If you remove the gusset cords the wing is too large for singles, even large singles like a steel 95. If you leave them one, I found that, ironically enough, they trap air.

You'll be much happier with a wing designed specifically for singles and singles only.
I agree with Drew. Coincidentally, I had a couple diving friends over last night who dive Rec wings. I showed them my 30# DSS wing, 40# Halcyon wing, and 45# Oxycheq wing ... and why any of these are preferable for single-tank diving over the Rec wing. It's a matter of how the shape of the wing affects performance in a single-tank rig, and how in order to make a wing (the Rec wing) that'll accommodate both single and double configs, they had to make compromises on the optimal performance of either.

The Rec wing has its place ... if you want the option of diving both singles and doubles and don't want to purchase two wings. Just recognize that while it'll accommodate both, it's not the best performing wing for either. Think of it as a "minivan" for divers.

If you want excellent singles performance, look at wings by Deep Sea Supply, Oxycheq, and Halcyon that are designed specifically for singles. The Dive Rite Venture is also a good wing, although I personally prefer the Oxycheq and DSS designs for a 30# singles wing.

There are other good wings out there ... these just happen to be the ones I have personal experience with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You can't beat the old Halcyon Pioneer 18# batwings if you are looking for a small wing to use in warm water with light exposure protection. (Of course, they don't make 'em anymore...so you would have to find a used one somewhere.)

If you want a little more versatility then you might want to consider the 27# Pioneer. One of the neatest things about the Pioneer is that they don't use an inner bladder and are relatively thin. If you frequently travel to warm water destinations you will really appreciate how well they pack...they take up very little room.

If traveling/packing aren't important to you, then you might prefer one of the many wings with an inner bladder. Some would say that these are a bit tougher than wings that don't have an outer shell. They're probably right although I've used Pioneers for many years and have yet to get a leak. I will make this observation, however, the outer shell on the Halcyon Eclipse series seems mighty thin to me...sorta negating the purpose of having it there. I haven't touched a wing from Oxy or DSS but the outer shell on my Agir-Brokk wing is vastly superior to the Eclipse.

Which leads me to yet another recommendation...Agir-Brokk. I can't imagine a better wing. :D

Oxy Signature, Eclipse og Agir. Excellent choices all of them. Size is what you decide on, depending on how and where you dive.

I chose the Eclipse 40 because:
1. I got one slightly used for a good price.
2. I need much more than the 27/30's, since a dive with a steel 12L/300 bar 17,5 kilo (empty!) tank and a 7 mm neoprene suit with a lot of lift at the surface.

I'm happy as ever before with my new "system", because it works!

KOMPRESSOR:
I chose the Eclipse 40 because:
1. I got on slightly used for a good price.
2. I need much more than the 27/30's, since a dive with a steel 12L/300 bar 17,5 kilo (empty!) tank and a 7 mm neoprene suit with a lot of lift at the surface.
I only use 12L/200 bar, 30 is sufficient for me.

Back
Top Bottom