Single vs Double Bladder Wings - Pro's and Con's ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a newbie.

Had plans to get a double bladder wing as my first setup with twin 7L 300 BAR cylinders. Some might think I make it too complex as a newbie. Valid point. At present, I have not changed my mind. Reading this got me to rethink.

For redundancy dual is good. A dual bladder wing from Hollis or Dive Right can also be used with a single tank.

Why do I want to go this way:
a) I know for a fact that I will do a good number of solo dives. My dives will mostly take place from your sailing yacht. More important I will not trust my wife as my diving buddy. Even though she has had her PADI certificate for 20 years (with hardly any dives....
b) As a person, I have always done other sports or activities to the extream solo. Safety, training, redundancy, endless training always had top priority.
c) Why not learn on the gear I will use most? I could start with a single bladder wing (or standard BCD) with one tank. Then after a few dives, until I got my certificate, including diving rescue certificate, change my equipment in the direction of more solo diving. Again, why not learn and practise on the gear I know will use most.

Reading the pro and cons with double bladder, have not got me to change my mind. What am I doing wrong?
If you have no dives, where are you getting this info from? Who is telling you about twin 300bar 7L setup? I don’t understand why you’ve made up your mind to solo dive before you’ve ever even dived. At this stage you don’t know what you don’t know. You don’t even know how comfortable you are diving under water on your own (just because you’ve snorkeled or swam doesn’t mean you’re automatically comfortable diving). At least it’s good you’re recognizing that you need extra safety margins to dive solo, but I’m afraid, like many divers, you could just be padding the safety with equipment rather than knowledge.

Seen as you’re in the UK, just forget the dual bladder wing and get an Otter, Predator or Seaskin drysuit and use the drysuit as the redundant bladder. If that isn’t redundant enough for you, bring a lift bag aswell (don’t need a big one).

As a new diver, just stick with the basics and go diving. If you don’t have any experience, you shouldn’t be making opinions/ ideas about your gear imo.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom