Sinking of the Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Tuesday, Oct. 10, Discovery Channel, 8 pm. My guide says, " Nearly a quarter ton of explosives is set to sink the Oriskany during a nonmilitary exercise."

Huh - what was the question?

Edit: Ok, I got it now. By "My guide says, " Nearly a quarter..." you're referencing your TV guide. I was thinking of a person. Sorry, I haven't had TV since 1988.

I imagine that there were 500# of explosives used to sink the Mighty-O properly, if not more. They had to blow several holes thru thick metal to get her to sink level on the floor rather than one end first like when the S.Grove off of Key Largo went down prematurely.

Discovery web page for 10/10 doesn't list it.

nolatom:
Discovery web page for 10/10 doesn't list it.

Time Warner Cable has it listed at both 8pm and again at 12 midnight. And I'm sure TWC wouldn't lie, would they?

Saw the very tail end of it yesterday (Sunday). They actually had cameras inside the ship as they blew the charges and as it was sinking - you can watch the water flood in. Really cool footage.

Hopefully I'll be able to catch the full program - it looked really interesting...

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom