Sipadan Closing at End 2004 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terenceg,

We stayed on the island in '94, '00 and '01 and the degradation of the island and diving was very noticeable. I agree that will be best for the island but am sorry to think about the things that we will be miss by not being able to stay on the island:

- unlimited shore diving at the Drop Off
- early morning dive at the Drop Off to watch the bumpheads wake up and move off towards their schooling point near Barracuda Point
- dusk dives to watch the bumpheads as they return to their nightly resting places at the Drop Off

I doubt that it will be possible to do these dives from Mabul or Kapalai. I hate to think what would happen if you were in a high speed dive boat at night and hit a submerged log so chances of the Mabul and Kapalai dive resorts running the bumphead dives are probably slim to none.

It sure was nice there in '94.

Dive safe,
Rickg

you're probably right, i have yet to dive in sipadan but can't make it before this year. but what i am trying to say is that, we divers are not really interested in the nice homely feel resorts with comfortable airconditions or the breakfast in bed services. build us a hut from wood, leaking roof, eat coconut everyday, yet have tanks ready for us and we'll still dive happy.
:dazzler1: :dazzler1: :wink:

rickg:
terenceg,

We stayed on the island in '94, '00 and '01 and the degradation of the island and diving was very noticeable. I agree that will be best for the island but am sorry to think about the things that we will be miss by not being able to stay on the island:

- unlimited shore diving at the Drop Off
- early morning dive at the Drop Off to watch the bumpheads wake up and move off towards their schooling point near Barracuda Point
- dusk dives to watch the bumpheads as they return to their nightly resting places at the Drop Off

I doubt that it will be possible to do these dives from Mabul or Kapalai. I hate to think what would happen if you were in a high speed dive boat at night and hit a submerged log so chances of the Mabul and Kapalai dive resorts running the bumphead dives are probably slim to none.

It sure was nice there in '94.

Dive safe,
Rickg

Back
Top Bottom