Sipadan Diving with Uncle Chang's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samtihen

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all!

Just got back from two days of diving at Sipadan, and had a great time! My expectations were high, considering that it's frequently rated as one of the top dive spots in the world - and I'd say they were met, but not exceeded.

The most impressive feature of Sipadan is the number of sharks and turtles about - I spotted quite a few of both on every dive. Over the course of six dives, I suspect I saw around 30 or 40 of each. The Grey Reef Sharks seemed to keep a little bit off from the wall, but the White Tips would let you get right up next to them. Huge turtles swam gracefully around for large portions of the time, and didn't seem the least bit bothered by divers. Saw one eagle ray, and plenty of "new to me" marine life on every dive. Barracuda Point had quite a bit of current, and I did see the namesake school on both my dives there. The visibility was a bit lower than I had hoped, but it wasn't bad by any means.

[video=youtube;3j4-ncvzolA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4-ncvzolA[/video]

Diving with Uncle Chang's was easy and decent value, each day costs 560 MYR including equipment, which was actually quite new and well maintained. I wasn't required to book dives on Mabul or Kapalai to get Sipadan permits, but I think this is discouraged. The divemasters were Malaysians, but did speak English well and were nice guys. The boat was fast and a good size to get the job done. Dives were NOT limited to 45 minutes unlike some of the other shops in the area, and I think most of mine were around 55 minutes. The food was so-so, but I'm not really a huge fan of Malaysian food in general. The resort on Mabul was ok, I stayed in the 4 bed dorms for 60 MYR per night, including all food. Nothing to write home about - I wouldn't want to spend much time lounging about on Mabul (the center of the island is actually filled with what seems to be borderline poverty, and isn't a particularly nice place to venture in to).

All in all, well worth it, but I think one or two days would be plenty.

Actually Samtihen the centre of the island has some folks living in sub-standard conditions by western standards but you find generosity , warmth and smiles within. Well I had some great hospitality with some locals a few days ago that I got to know well. And was treated to a great feast of BBQ fish. Dont judge the book by its cover... Just would be great if there was a better educational program directed at the community particularly the kids about respecting the environment, given there is a fair amount of rubbish about. There is much improvement since 2 years ago though and a bin depot has been provided. Nothing can be done re Baja laut (sea gypsies) they just come and go as they do.

Last edited:
The rubbish situation needs serious attention. Neither the resorts nor Borneo Divers seem bothered about solving it sadly..though it isn't generally their rubbish but they could be pro-active.

Borneo Divers aside, the two bungalow/chalet resorts couldn't care less, knowing the owners about the rubbish as long as they keep raking in the cash and their business isn't affected.

Which probably explains why there is so much rubbish floating about today morning in front of BD.

Not sure I understand... ? Is that a dig at Marine Week?
Anyway, Its better to light one candle, than curse the darkness.

Not sure I understand... ? Is that a dig at Marine Week?
Anyway, Its better to light one candle, than curse the darkness.

A dig? Most certainly. Because what happens after marine week? Everything goes back to the way it was.

Then again, you're not from here so you wouldn't understand.

Then again, you're not from here so you wouldn't understand.

LOL! Well... you can either troll the Malaysian internet forum here on SB, or you can decide to do something about the problem like most others. Ultimately, the choice is yours.

A video from marine week 2011
Mabul Needs Vets and Marine Conservationists

"As you can see from these pictures, the week involved beach cleans, Project AWARE Dive Against Debris, building rubbish collection points, collecting petition signatures for AWAREthe opening of the Scuba Junkie sponsored Mabul Turtle Hatchery, Scuba Junkie S.E.A.S shark education and Sea Turtle presentation, waste management presentations for the local community by the WWF, the school of hope and Reef Check dives as well as much mach more."

MABUL MARINE WEEK 2011.....A JOB WELL DONE! | Project AWARE

LOL! Well... you can either troll the Malaysian internet forum here on SB, or you can decide to do something about the problem like most others. Ultimately, the choice is yours.

A video from marine week 2011
Mabul Needs Vets and Marine Conservationists

"As you can see from these pictures, the week involved beach cleans, Project AWARE Dive Against Debris, building rubbish collection points, collecting petition signatures for AWAREthe opening of the Scuba Junkie sponsored Mabul Turtle Hatchery, Scuba Junkie S.E.A.S shark education and Sea Turtle presentation, waste management presentations for the local community by the WWF, the school of hope and Reef Check dives as well as much mach more."

MABUL MARINE WEEK 2011.....A JOB WELL DONE! | Project AWARE

You can keep going around, expecting fellow divers to give you that pat on the back you so richly want to sooth that massive ego of yours, but we see this all the time. White fella, comes to Borneo (or many other parts of asia)..is shocked..no HORRIFIED by the destruction to corals, marine life..rubbish being dumped at sea...demands action...and, after a year or two, moves on where the pay check pays more...and starts all over again.

Don't kid yourself. Most local divers are not that stupid. I think we have seen enough over the past 20 years to know who's genuine and who (newbies in the area) isn't.

But I do beg to ask..what's with all the rubbish today in front of Mabul? You still haven't answered my question.

If your program was such a success, we shouldn't obviously be seeing this much rubbish floating about today, yes? Afterall, there was no storm last night so it couldn't have been from the mainland.

Back
Top Bottom