Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just had 3 different groups of friends asking me if i wanna go Sipadan past 2 weeks. arrrrghhh oh so tempting

SaltyWhale - oh boy do i have lots of Qs for u :wink: any ideas where we can get good rates? a friend managed to get a price to kill for - below S$1,000 inclusive air fare from sin and back, and he has refused to divulge his sources hehe he's also not a dive operator hence the good price. which is a good resort to stay, and which dive operators woud be recommended?

ok this is a little off topic - what's it like being a DM and being based at Sipadan? my instructor told me that he had a contact for a DM placing at Sipadan, and that the monthly pay was around RM1,200? wow that's quite scary :D but seriously, i have been considering getting my DM course and then base myself in either Malaysia or Thailand for one year as a full-time DM. Would appreciate any advice from you, esp your take on the current employment opportunities and conditions at Sipadan.

Thanks much!!

Hi Asiandivergal

Greetings...!

Going to Sipadan with great deals nowadays is not difficult (after all those happenings sometime back).

It's just what sort of a standard (fun and professionalism) and comfort you are looking for. ADEX will be in Singapore very soon (April). If you can hold your horses till then, I would suggest you to wait.

Working in Sipadan is great, again that will have to depend a lot on which resort that is. The only resorts which I see you will have fun working with will be, either Borneo Divers, Sipadan Water Village Resort or Pulau Sipadan Resort. The rest will be very hard work (due to location).

However, understanding from the resorts there, they will ussually avoid employing non-Malaysians as it's very difficult to obtain work permit. And yes, pay is usually low.

Please feel free to ask more question if you have any. Will be glad to reply.

p/s: Sipadan is very safe now.

Hi,

Can anyone give advice on the time of year or season to go to Sipadan? Is there a rainy / storm season? Is there a time of year with 'bad' visibility? A season to see certain animals?
Thanx,

Wouter

Hi wschul

Best time for Sipadan in terms of sea condition and vis is between April and August.

Sipadan is an Oceanic Island with mainly of wall dives, drops off to the depth of 2000 feet. Which makes the marine life pretty much stays around there. Once in a while when there's cold current (year end mostly), Schooling of HammerHead may be spotted if lucky.

Cheers.

Boy oh boy, hear you guys rave about sipadan makes me want to drop everything and fly there right now. never got the chance to dive there as prices are too high and i am a cheap skate diver. waiting for the upcoming dive expo to plan a trip this june. anyone has any ideas where to go that is relatively untouched. tryin to find something below S$700 for about 5 days.

Originally posted by savant
waiting for the upcoming dive expo to plan a trip this june. anyone has any ideas where to go that is relatively untouched. tryin to find something below S$700 for about 5 days.

Up your budget a lil' and you'll be on your way to Sipadan (may not be the better facilities).

I know for a fact that you can get the better resorts for approximately S$1200.

I wish!!!!:) After getting my ranger and waiting for my tusa reg has already made me too broke to consider anything further. I know rendang would even give me extra to spend on more euqipment but was hoping to go further like similan or krabi. i guess if i take a bus all the way up from singapore i could probably afford a couple of days in similan but the journey there would be a killer.
also planning to do a DM course, so that sort of just kill my sipadan trip. anyone with any contacts in thailand or bali/lombok where a good DM course could be done in a month and work available for another two months???? :confused:
sipadan, i iwll head to one day, got to get the dough first ...... sheeze .......;-0

Originally posted by savant
anyone with any contacts in thailand or bali/lombok where a good DM course could be done in a month

How about Tioman...? I know some guys who can do a good job for you there.

arrrgghhh , no ..... I was hoping for something further, if you get my drift. TIoman i can do easily during a weekend thingy, but i got this friend who has a schedule worse than the Pope and so getting a week from her is tougher than skiing to the north pole. :wink:
that was why i was planning the closest i will head out to is rendang, or maybe there are some unknown islands near there for me to discover or maybe some hidden state secret diving place....... :)
yeah, anyway, thanks for the ideas...... :mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom