Sipidan or Layang Layang - May 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eytokyo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning a trip to Borneo in May 2011 and am trying to decide between Layang Layang and Sipidan, or is it worth trying to do both in a week? All comments welcome! :cool2::cool2:

Hi ya,

No, I would not try to do both Layang Layang and Sipadan if you only have one week.

You will loose a couple of days diving when you travel across Sabah to get from one location to the next.

What is on your wish list? Have a look at our videos to give you an idea Video gallery.

thank you both....
@onthespot: the videos of both locations are great, but I think I am leaning towards layang layang in pursuit of a hammerhead sighting!

I agree with both above. Having done both on the same trip, would suggest to do either 1 but I prefer Layang Layang, the corals there were better & I really love dolphins & mantas. Be prepared for the strong current & deep dives, which sometimes don't yield much results... Oh, watch your air consumption.

It's been a long time since I was to either place, so discount my opinion accordingly. I was lucky enough to encounter hammerheads on multiple dives in both Layang-layang and Sipadan, but you certainly can't count on that. The hammerheads I saw at Layang-layang were deep. As deep as 55 meters, on one dive, and all below 40 meters. Think about that in advance and decide if you will be properly equipped and trained for those dives. Also, there is a good chance that you won't see any hammerheads, so if the success of your trip depends on seeing them, reevaluate. Is May the best time for hammerheads at Layang-layang? I don't know; I've heard a few theories, from full moon to earlier in the season (March), when the water is cooler. Hammerheads certainly prefer cooler water (which is why you don't go to the Galapagos during El Ninos), but I saw them in August.

I have been to both and would say they are worth visiting. In my opinion, the macro life around Mabul & Kapalai is richer than LL however; but yes you have a better chance of seeing hammerheads in LL, and visibility tends to be better there.

Agree with all above that one week for both is not a viable/ enjoyable option.

I see the advice of not combining these two locations. But, if one has the time to do say six nights at Mabul and four nights at LL, can one travel from one to the other in a single day (water transport > ground > flight (single flight, yes?) > ground > boat transport)? Thanks

I see the advice of not combining these two locations. But, if one has the time to do say six nights at Mabul and four nights at LL, can one travel from one to the other in a single day (water transport > ground > flight (single flight, yes?) > ground > boat transport)? Thanks

I think you probably will have to overnight in KK... You do need to fly to LL from KK and those flights are in the morning.

Leo, don't even think about Layang² for your non diving wife.
My advice was trying instead Lankayan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom