Sizing and flex question (Tan Delta L vs Original ML)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Albireo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi!

I was lucky enough to try out two Force Fins in the pool today, a Tan Delta in L and an Original in ML. The Tan Delta had comfort inserts. My left foot is size 9, and the right foot is size 8, normal widths. Both had bungie cords that didn't look cut down from original lengths. I was only in bare feet as I intend to buy a new fin just for the tropics.

What I discovered was:

1. The Tan Delta is tough to flex! I really didn't like it for surface swimming, particularly not for snorkling (with freestyle I roll to the sides which makes finning easier). But even underwater I had to really will my leg to push against the Tan Delta to get me to go. I went fast, but I definitely didn't feel "one" with the Tan Deltas. I felt that the toes didn't have as much clearance beyond the heel pocket as with the Original ML (see below) and once I even cramped a bit my right calf!

2. The Tan Delta has a noticeably better frog kick, but I had no trouble "doin' the frog" with either fin. I actually found it easier to frog kick with either Force Fin than resort fins I've used in the past, which were much floppier. However, the Tan Delta wanted to fall of my bare feet on every kick, i.e. with every push the bungie popped right off, particularly from my smaller right foot. I could simulate this in the extreme by pushing off the pool's walls, whereupon I actually lost a fin!

3. As mentioned, I think as part of trying to keep the Tan Deltas on, I actually cramped my right calf muscle. Boo. I noticed that my toes were much more involved "holding" on to the fin than with the Original ML.

4. The Original ML fit both feet very well -- perhaps the right was a bit looser, but no biggie -- and I flexed it wonderfully. My toes were simply not involved in the kick. I really felt like my feet had grown wings: other than the expected pressure at the top edge of the foot I really loved the feel of the Originals.

I'm a pretty new AOW diver, mid-30s, 175 lbs, very decent swimmer but without -- as is probably obvious by now -- the strongest kick in the world. I assume the Tan Delta is too stiff for me (really to my surprise, as I'm pretty strong otherwise) but I am worried it's the L size that is causing the trouble with flexing and falling off, not the Tan Delta's stiffer material. What I would like to know is whether I should get an Original ML and go without the comfort insert, or try my luck with an Original L with comfort inserts. Remember, I will definitely be swimming the fins barefoot.

Thanks!

- KJ

The Tan Delta material is definitely harder to flex. It is great in currents when you need the extra push but for most diving either the Original or Pro materials are more than enough.One thing you need to realize is the bunnies are adjustable, so if one side is a little loose, you can easily shorten it to fit.My recommendation would be to buy the large and use the inserts to size it down if necessary, but that way you could use them with heavier soled boots if you need to by removing the inserts. If you do any shore diving in the Caribbean you will want to be able to wear hard soled boots to protect your feet on entry and exit

don't forget there is a mid point here with the Pro, the Pro is stiffer than the Original, but not as stiff as the Tan Delta. they are the fin that I recommend for nearly every diver.

Thanks for all the recommendations! After getting permission I looked up the instructions for adjusting the bungie cord. Taking both pairs of fins back in the pool yesterday proved a few things to me:

1. As recommended by everyone, Force Fins should not be worn barefoot. I didn't really feel any problems on the top of my foot the first day out as I noted above, but just two days later the top of my foot was already feeling sensitive. So definitely a size L for me with comfort inserts.

2. After adjusting the Bungie cord shorter the L Tan Deltas felt much more comfortable -- namely my toes truly cleared the heel pocket -- and I no longer came close to straining my calves. I think given how much I had to cinch in the bungie cord I will go with the standard (adjustable) nylon strap instead.

3. I snorkle much faster in the Originals than in the Tan Deltas. A 50-yard lap with kickboard was covered in 1:03 min in the Originals, but 1:13 min in the Tan Deltas. More importantly, I was really zonked at the end of the Tan Delta lap and could barely move my lower legs. I ended up really having to focus on using body roll to produce more power from my hips and my ankles (particularly on the right with the smaller foot) started aching. I started the lap well but ended up with the poor Tan Deltas weakly flapping the top of the water, whereas with the Originals I felt I could continue all day.

So, I guess my kick really is quite weak, and given the troubles I had with the Tan Deltas and snorkling I will stick with the Originals for now. Only problem now is: can Force Fins produce a Bahamian Blue one in L in time for my Roatan trip mid-April?!

Thanks again for all your help. It encouraged me to give the fins a second round in the pool and that clarified it completely for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom