SkyService Question....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canuck

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone....I'm leaving Friday morning for Puerto Vallarta on Sky Service and I was curious about their baggage policy. I read their web site, and it only mentions scuba tanks. I've also been told that the mesh type bags are not liked by the airlines (although I'm not sure why).

Anyone have experience with bringing scuba equipment (BCD, Reg, Fins, boots, mask, snorkel, and UW camera) on a flight (specifically Sky Service) and any problems with a mesh bag?

Thanks for any help.:confused:

Hello there Wayne,
Welcome to the board. I'm new too. Myself and my dive partner are not far from you at all. If you want to get together sometime to go for a dive, I'm sure we would both welcome you. I would have to ask of course but the more the merrier. Try to come to the dinner and if possible the weekend we are trying to plan. I have found people who dive are usually very friendly. Hope to talk to you around the board.

Canuck once bubbled...
Hi everyone....I'm leaving Friday morning for Puerto Vallarta on Sky Service and I was curious about their baggage policy. I read their web site, and it only mentions scuba tanks. I've also been told that the mesh type bags are not liked by the airlines (although I'm not sure why).

Anyone have experience with bringing scuba equipment (BCD, Reg, Fins, boots, mask, snorkel, and UW camera) on a flight (specifically Sky Service) and any problems with a mesh bag?

Thanks for any help.:confused:

I recently flew down to Florida with American Airlines.. All my dive gear was in a soft case with wheels.. Its was overweight and they made me pay extra :(
Im not sure how security is in Canada right now, but in the states you are not allowed to lock your luggage as they will open it after you check it.. They left a nice little note in my gear bag. I was terrified that my bag would get lost (wouldn't be the first time) so I carried my regs and photo gear (all the expensice stuff) in my carry on..
As for the mesh bag, make sure you get something nice ans sturdy and padded.. you want to protect your gear.. The mesh bag just invites theft.. Its like advertising your scuba gear..
Besides, I don't know how a mesh bag would handle being on the bottom of two other 75lbs suitcases..
Just my two cents worth..
My big gear bag has wheels and a handle.. great to get around airports..Also has backpack straps once I get out to carry it..Its made by Akona.. I'd recommend it..

Thanks for the info, I think I actually saw the bag your talking about in a local DS today....I think it was about $350. and I'd love to get it, but I'm paying for my trip right now. =(
Maria thanks for the welcome and invitation also!

When I flew with equipment I made sure i packed it well and had it protected but I told them it was sports equipment and they allowed me extra weight without the extra fee. I wouldn't use mesh bags and like sparky30 said I would carry on the expensive stuff.

scuba_18

I just flew to Cancun with Skyservice. The luggage policy is quite clear on sporting equipment such as scuba gear. It allows you to go over your weight without penalty. They initially charged me $25 for being over the baggage weight but then I went back after reading the ticket closely. They gave me my money back. Make sure you tell them it is sporting gear and specifically scuba. I put all my scuba gear in a seperate suitcase to avoid any problems. I had none. You will want your film in your carry on luggage. The extra x-rays and trace testing is not the easiest thing on the film . Visit Transport Canada's web site and review the prohibitted items list for carry on luggage before you pack. With the US's announcement earlier tonight the hightened security is a given.

I flew to PV a couple years ago with a mesh sided bag and had no problem. You were talking about a new bag at the lds for 350.00. I just bought a wheeled backpack duffel at Mountain equipment Coop I know there is one in Ont., for 130.00.

well thanks for all the great info everyone.....I'll call them tomorrow just to double check so I don't have any problems at the airport in light of all the heightened security.
Marie....sorry for calling you Maria, my bad!
Bubbles...that bag sounds like a good deal. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Big Bubbles....would this be the bag you speak of? If so, how do you find it? Enough room for all of your gear, and is the equipment able to "breath" through the fabric? I don't want to put wet equipment in there if it will get stinky and gross!

Back
Top Bottom