SL960 Separated from Base Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaduced

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I bought two DC600/SL960 combos more than a year ago. On both units, the base plate cracked around the SL960 mounting insert and the insert finally fell out. I plan to go to SeaLife for a repair/replacement. Has anyone else had this problem?

No, I have had the strobe head seperate from the arm, but it just snaps back on. Never had a problem with the plate itself. Let us know how you make out...

mine did not break but i thought it seemed flimsy and to flexable so i went to a local metal shop and had them make a new one out of aluminum cost $50 and works much better

garrett58 - Did you make any dives with the plastic plate? Or notice hairline cracks around the insert before you had the aluminum plate fabbed? I am considering making a 3/8" plexiglass plate, if I can't get another from Sealife.

i thought about plexi or lexan to but i think the insert will cause cracking . if you could get 1/2" plexi and drill the threaded insert but dont drill all the way throught and then epoxy the insert in place it might be strong enough

i thought about plexi or lexan to but i think the insert will cause cracking . if you could get 1/2" plexi and drill the threaded insert but dont drill all the way throught and then epoxy the insert in place it might be strong enough
Yesterday 07:43 PM

I was going to remove the insert and use a sex-bolt and maybe a washer, from the bottom side of the plate, to spread the stresses out over a greater area. Along with the Lexan, I figured it wouldn't crack.

If the Plate broke due to a defect, we will replace at n/c.

As this is a molded piece there could be some molding defects but it wouldn't usually hold out for a full year before craking.

I would send it in through your dive shop to SeaLife for evaluation.

Joe

Hi Joe,
The cracks didn't suddenly appear, they started as hairline cracks and progressed until the insert fell out of the base.

I have been in touch with Karl and he sent me an RMA for the strobes. They should go out FEDEX tomorrow.

So far, so good!

I received the repaired strobes today. Sealife replaced the base plates at no charge. I'll keep a close eye on the attach point and see if the same issue crops up again. Two satisfied customers here! :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom