Sleep or lack there of

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have trouble sleeping sometimes, and before I start using over the counter drugs like Gravol, I try the following: no drinks with caffeine after 4PM, no heavy eating after 7PM, no computer use after 9PM, no exercise after 7PM. Try exercising early in the morning or during lunchtime; it will make you tired. If you're waking up in the middle of the night, ask yourself: are you hungry? If so, have a light snack, nothing greasy, but try a bit of tuna, turkey, or cheese. Try a sound machine: mine has 10 different sounds to choose from -- it helps. If you're very preoccupied with something and this is what's keeping you up, find a solution to it or you won't get any sleep. Drinking alcohol before bed is not really a good idea, as alcohol interferes with REM cycles, leading to sleep that's not as sound or as good for you.

I find when I've been lacking sleep for a week or more, I get very irritable, which only adds to the effects of lack of sleep, and affects everyone around me. At this point, I've exhausted the options listed above, so I go see my doctor who prescribes me some pills. I don't like this option, but in order to become 'sane' again, it works. I'm not talking sleeping pills, because those are addictive and leave you groggy in the morning. PM me if you want more info.

Well last night I took Walters advice and got down to about 80 and thought my goodness this is boring and fell fast asleep. Fell asleep about midnight and back up at 6:37 to get the kids off to school. It's more sleep then I have had in a while. Thank you to everyone for all the advice. My hubby is coming over tonight so I know I will sleep better. I always do when he is there.

Walter:
It's effective because it is so boring.

I really want to thank you, everyone who made suggestions, but expecially Walter for giving me such a boring suggestion. I am wide awake. Much love to you my friend. :10:

I tried Walters suggestion last night too. My mind kept drifting off to other thoughts & I'd have to concentrate on the number & erasing it. I didn't make it past 80, but it would probably been more like 70 if I could have stayed focused.

cobaltbabe:
Well last night I took Walters advice and got down to about 80 and thought my goodness this is boring and fell fast asleep. Fell asleep about midnight and back up at 6:37 to get the kids off to school. It's more sleep then I have had in a while. Thank you to everyone for all the advice. My hubby is coming over tonight so I know I will sleep better. I always do when he is there.

I don't know why I didn't think about it before but maybe scent will assist you in getting more sleep. If your husband has a jacket or something that has his scent on it, it might help to get to sleep if you take that bed with you (the teddy bear effect.)

czjack:
I don't know why I didn't think about it before but maybe scent will assist you in getting more sleep. If your husband has a jacket or something that has his scent on it, it might help to get to sleep if you take that bed with you (the teddy bear effect.)

I have done that before. I slept in Matts shirt and it helped alot. I think I might "hide" one on him this weekend. :wink:

Hi cobalt, glad to hear you were able to get some sleep.

Last night I went to bed thinking of other ideas to offer you and help you sleep better. Well, I did fall asleep, but then woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible nightmare!
It was terrible!!--It was about a Bigg-o-shark who came up out of no-where and ate a man up (he was water-skiing!) and I was right there just seeing it all happen right infront of me!! It was terrible!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom