Sleeping While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5/18/2008 Certed FFM and SAR/R with a known PSD agency.

A small ER nurse who just came off night shift was my line-tender. NO NONSENSE! We passed and then she passed out in the ambulance that doubled as a dive vehicle. WE are going to succeed. She directed the search, I was the dope on the rope.

A very young student who was just back from her prom was my profiler (she got a provisional due to age).

I have a special place in my heart for Nurses, NP's, PA's, and night people in general.

Never seen nor heard of that happening before. Shocked he could keep the reg in his mouth but at least you wouldn't know if he was drooling.

I've napped on deco more than once. You don't really fall into a deep sleep, more of a doze off sort of thing.

I slept for years while diving. It started when I was a commercial diver asked to work a triple shift. Apparently, I was snoring through the comms. I learned to unplug the wires on my SL27 after that.

Then it carried over to long deco dives. I'd fall asleep on 20' and 10' stops. Don't worry, you wake up pretty quick if the ref falls out, which has only happened once.

I've NEVER allowed myself to fall asleep since moving to CCR. Even with vibrating handsets, the idea of sleeping on the loop is terrifying to me.

Cave dives can be long and tiring ...

IMG_9215.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You might want to get him a full face mask.
Agree. Or at least bungee the primary in his mouth if you don't have or want to spend the $ on a FFM. Doesn't anyone but me do this?--just in case of sudden unconsciousness--even with a buddy.
As for sleep, I get over 8 hours nightly and enjoy it. But I could never IMAGINE falling asleep while diving--or driving. I have pulled over and walked around the car many times.

Could be a sleep deprivation problem, but it's worth considering if sleep apnea is an issue. It affects a fair portion of the population, usually male, overweight, with thick short necks. Falling asleep inappropriately, especially with a lot of loud snoring are other common symptoms.
See below for other common symptoms. About 30% of the people don't have the common body characteristics but will have the other symptoms. FWIW, sleep apnea is probably 2nd only to drunk driving for causing auto fatalities.

I diagnosed a guy on line once when he admitted he'd fall asleep on the safety stop hang bar.

Direct quote from a sleep physician at a medical lecture:
"Men don't have sleep apnea, they only have denial. What they don't deny is how much their wives bitch about their snoring."

Sleep Apnea Symptoms

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom