slowing down...need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paddler3d

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm about 3/4 of the way through PADI DM.

I have a problem, which according to my instructor, is common, but he didn't have too many suggestions as he is still trying to figure this one out.

I am apparently a fast swimmer.

I swim using the frog kick.

Since begging to work with students I've made a very conscious effort to slow down. I'm still not swimming slow enough.

Yesterday I slung AL40 to add extra drag. Didn't help that much.

I feel as if I'm not even making complete kicks anymore.

Aside from a sea anchor, any tried and true tricks?

It's easy, kick pause for several seconds and kick again. I modify my frog kicks so my fins are almost flat to the students. It hurts the efficency of the kick but it makes the fins very easy to see, esp in low vis situations and it slows you down some in the process. Looks like 2 yellow flags flying in front of them.

Float more. Swim less.

Really. Do a strike. Then, just concentrate on floating motionless and glide along. Only take another stroke when you need to. It could be that your buoyancy isn't as precise as you think it is and you need to keep moving to stay at your depth. Hence, constant swimming. Just float.

Posted via Mobile Device

Not an expert but I noticed it this weekend on my first DM course, the begining divers tend to make little kicks that are not very effective, but they do it very fast and still go slow, I just get good and neutral and only kick once in awhile.
Besides I feel it is important to demonstrate neutral buoyancy and proper form, so that they will remember it should they ever want to learn it on their own.

My brother is a competitive swimmer at age 66. He says that sprinters have a ratio of 6 kicks per stroke cycle. Distance swimmers (US!) should aim for 2 kicks per stroke cycle.

My brother is a competitive swimmer at age 66. He says that sprinters have a ratio of 6 kicks per stroke cycle. Distance swimmers (US!) should aim for 2 kicks per stroke cycle.

So a stroke cycle is based on your arm stroke correct?

Yeah, must be. I'll e mail my brother and reply here if otherwise. Yes, he said one stroke each arm= 1 cycle.

Last edited:
Kick....glide....coast.....kick.....glide....coast.....

That outta do it for ya.

Maybe more like kick...glide...float...float...float...

Float more. Swim less.

Really. Do a strike. Then, just concentrate on floating motionless and glide along. Only take another stroke when you need to. It could be that your buoyancy isn't as precise as you think it is and you need to keep moving to stay at your depth. Hence, constant swimming. Just float.

Posted via Mobile Device

My buoyancy isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either. I have this annoying roll to the right thing that I can't seem to figure out. I feel like I have to use my right foot to do a sculling sort of stroke so I can stay horizontal. Oddly this disappears when I put on my buddies doubles. I have theories why this happens.

I dive wet with a simple hog harness, no weight belt, ss bp/wing. Could it be I'm just that slippery through the water? I don't have any dangalies on my.

I just completed my divemaster and my first day with students I had a similar issue. I found that if I trailed behind them and kicked only when I needed to it I kept up with them and didn't run away from the group. One thing you may look at is your fins. Split fins seem to be faster so if you are currently using a split fin you might try a blade style. One another note we had a certified diver who would swim so fast on every dive I was doing everything I could to keep him with the group. His buddies said they have had the same issue with him but couldn't get him to slow down. I finally got him to swim with the group on our 3rd dive with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom