slowing down...need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried just kicking really slow. What a difference re stamina.

- As you are able to do the frogkick, are you capable of hanging steady on a certain position and swimming the backkick?

If you are, try to stop swimming (way more!) frequently, and when you stop, look backwards or around/front of you to gain an even better overview where your students (or the ones you're guiding) are.
It'll not only break down the amount of swimming you do (it'll slow you down), but you will also gain overview, which makes you a better guide/assistant, since you can anticipate better on potential problems.

If you aren't capable of swimming the backkick and staying on an exact position yet, go and train this! Find an instructor or other diver who is known with these skills, and train, train, train...
It will do you good, even if you can't get the mindset of stopping frequently :blush:.

- Take a look at your fins. Which ones do you use?
If you don't yet use them; try Jetfins/Turtles. These fins take a little more effort in swimming since they are less flexible than regular fins. Moreover, in combination with your wing you'll be able to gain more precision in your position in the water (and why an exact position in the water -> see above).

Good luck!

Kick, glide, "oh look at that", kick, glide, "oh look at that"

"Kick, glide" is a great suggestion, not only for students, but for normal diving.

I noticed that beginning students tend to drift apart or swim as different speeds. By stopping often to show them various things brings them together often. It also slows yourself down. Remember, a sergeant major or a piece of kelp is new to beginning divers.

In my youth I was a Water Safety Instructor and found the most difficult stroke for students to master was the breast stroke, which is the stroke most resembling dive fundamentals. The difficulty lied in timing the kick with a premature hand stroke (which we'd obvious leave out diving) with insufficient glide and recovery.

Trim problems were common in the breast stroke, also, if the head is up too much bringing the feet down and creating drag.

Provided you have adequate buoyancy control with good trim and you're using a fundamentally sound frog kick, your problem might simply be resisting the compulsion to begin a new kick and not getting enough out of your kick glide.

Fixing that should decrease your anaerobic and aerobic workloads and reduce your gas consumption, too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom