Slugs with geometric patterns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On today's dive this slug cruised over to another and in a matter of seconds they "hugged", rolled into a ball and then took off in opposite directions (second photo). There was a third, much smaller slug hanging out not moving a few inches away. Any ideas on what they are ? I can't find them in my field guides.

Depth: ~5m
Habitat: Sandy

P2052421.jpg

P2052414.jpg

They look like lyretail slugs which are often encountered on shallow sandy bottoms. Don't know the species name though; have not seen this color pattern before. The "hugging" you witnessed may have been both slugs mating with one-another. Immediately after mating they will go their own way and lay eggs.

Don't know what they are but they are cute little guys! :) Nice pics. X

I'm not sure they're branchs at all. There's no sign of the lateral flaps or divisions normal aglajids have, just the smooth body. I suspect acoel flatworms. By the way, I'm glad to see you're blog posting again!

hmm...I'm no expert...but it looks too dimesional to be a flat worm....or is it my crappy eyes?

Yes, the acoels have tails. Do a search on acoel or amphiscolops to see a few.

That one really caught my eye when I checked out your website. I think it's the lovechild of a nemertean and a flatworm :D I can send it round to a couple of friends/ invert experts and see what they say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom