Small Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't especially believe in cheap, I believe in value. $240. for a mass produced backplate does not represent good value to me.

I posted a link in a previous post for an Oxycheq plate at Cave Adventurers for $135. The website says it is in stock. At $135 it is not significantly more expensive than most other backplates.

If you think their is such a big market for a small backplate then buy one and take it to a metal shop and have them duplicate 100 of them and then sell them. You can be the king of the small backplate. Chances are they are not going to move fast.

Dive shops just want to make money and remain solvent.

Exactly, and to stay solvent they need to protect their margins. If they want to stay in business then they need to sell higher margin products which are not going to be backplate and wings. The traditional dive shop model was that they low-balled the initial training in order to get customers in the shop in order to sell them equipment. Knowing that most divers drop out of the hobby, you want to sell them as much as you can as soon as you can. The name of the game is to maximize profit per diver.

However, the internet upset that model because clients have access to different gear, better information, and better pricing. I don't think dive shops have come up with a suitable replacement model. Especially, shops that are not in a good diving location. Consequently many are going under.

Both Aqualung (through Apeks) and Scubapro do sell BP/W (at around the price point as Halcyon). So the industry giants are in that space. As a dive shop, I would not really want to sell BP/W, because I will need to spend significant time setting it up and training the diver. Something DGX or DeepSix does not need to do. Also if the diver isn't happy with his purchase then I am to blame. If he finds out that a BP/W is only $350 from DGX, while the Apeks I sold him is twice that, then I am a crook. It is a no win situation for the dive shop. It is much easier to sell a BC where it is quick to set it up and if the diver looks online, everyone is advertising it at the same price I sold it for.

I posted a link in a previous post for an Oxycheq plate at Cave Adventurers for $135. The website says it is in stock. At $135 it is not significantly more expensive than most other backplates.

If you think their is such a big market for a small backplate then buy one and take it to a metal shop and have them duplicate 100 of them and then sell them. You can be the king of the small backplate. Chances are they are not going to move

If you think their is such a big market for a small backplate then buy one and take it to a metal shop and have them duplicate 100 of them and then sell them. You can be the king of the small backplate. Chances are they are not going to move fast.

fast.
Actually, I am a normal sized person, and if the little people are happy paying big bucks for small plates it’s really OK with me.

Exactly, and to stay solvent they need to protect their margins. If they want to stay in business then they need to sell higher margin products which are not going to be backplate and wings. The traditional dive shop model was that they low-balled the initial training in order to get customers in the shop in order to sell them equipment. Knowing that most divers drop out of the hobby, you want to sell them as much as you can as soon as you can. The name of the game is to maximize profit per diver.

However, the internet upset that model because clients have access to different gear, better information, and better pricing. I don't think dive shops have come up with a suitable replacement model. Especially, shops that are not in a good diving location. Consequently many are going under.

Both Aqualung (through Apeks) and Scubapro do sell BP/W (at around the price point as Halcyon). So the industry giants are in that space. As a dive shop, I would not really want to sell BP/W, because I will need to spend significant time setting it up and training the diver. Something DGX or DeepSix does not need to do. Also if the diver isn't happy with his purchase then I am to blame. If he finds out that a BP/W is only $350 from DGX, while the Apeks I sold him is twice that, then I am a crook. It is a no win situation for the dive shop. It is much easier to sell a BC where it is quick to set it up and if the diver looks online, everyone is advertising it at the same price I sold it for.
At 100% markup on standard gear, dive shops are pretty much sitting ducks. The old model they are currently following is not sustainable. They need to offer more than just overpriced gear and a bad attitude. Some have, but most have not, and it’s only a matter of time.
This is a time of great transition and change. Those that can’t get creative and figure out how to offer something that the internet can not will lose.

At 100% markup on standard gear, dive shops are pretty much sitting ducks. The old model they are currently following is not sustainable. They need to offer more than just overpriced gear and a bad attitude. Some have, but most have not, and it’s only a matter of time.
This is a time of great transition and change. Those that can’t get creative and figure out how to offer something that the internet can not will lose.

Most dive shop owners are terrible business persons.

There was a dive shop near me that closed about a year ago. I never stopped by before the going out of business sale because the place looked dead. The sign looked like it hadn't been painted in over a decade it was all faded and the lettering underneath only talked about afternoon swimming programs. The shop had a few recent regulators, the rest were old US Divers models from the 90s, in extremely good shape. However the guy wanted a mint for them.

There was a dive shop in Miami I would go to for fills and VIPs because he did not hassle me about my old tank. The guy tried to talk me into upgrading from my current regulators which are Apeks and Scubapro. He had my address, phone number, and email but never did they send anything. I looked online and the shop is closed too.

Scuba was always a tough business, even before the internet. After the internet it is even tougher. Also the industry has no clue. The demographics are bad, look at who is on SB the majority is in their 40s-60s. The industry wants to promote dive travel but young people are saddled with debt and someone raising a family cannot just up and go to Bali for a few weeks.

We need to start another thread about how local dive shops can save themselves (if they want to).
This thread is about small backplates.
Maybe that would be one trinket that dive shops could offer that the internet seems to have dropped the ball on.

Actually, I am a normal sized person, and if the little people are happy paying big bucks for small plates it’s really OK with me.

It’s hard to find clothes that fit well. When I find something I like that fits, you can be damned sure I’ll pay whatever it costs, as long as it’s not too outrageous. And buy it in multiple colors, too!

Back to the OP's topic.. small backplates.
I too am interested in a smaller BP. I am a tropic diver and my steel 4LB DSS is much too heavy. I will not be using doubles, or diving dry. I LOVE my DSS but am wondering if those straps are easily configurable to other plates. I like what I have, not ready to change anything other than the plate.

Back to the OP's topic.. small backplates.
I too am interested in a smaller BP. I am a tropic diver and my steel 4LB DSS is much too heavy. I will not be using doubles, or diving dry. I LOVE my DSS but am wondering if those straps are easily configurable to other plates. I like what I have, not ready to change anything other than the plate.

Is your harness a standard one piece harness? If so, it will fit just fine.

No, not one piece. Uses a lot of velcro to make adjustments easy. It's one of Tobin's earlier designs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom