Small Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I LOVE my DSS but am wondering if those straps are easily configurable to other plates. I like what I have, not ready to change anything other than the plate.

DSS backplates are pretty much standard. Your harness should fit another backplate. You will be giving up the inserts and the compression blocks for the cam straps. Is the plate too large, too heavy, or both.

No, not one piece. Uses a lot of velcro to make adjustments easy. It's one of Tobin's earlier designs.

That is the DSS version of comfort/adjustable harness that DSS sold many years ago, and discontinue d at least 4-5 year ago. It should fit on other plates, bit the adjustment may need to change. The easiest way is to source a DSS kydex plate, then it is a transparent switch.

Look at the Halcyon one and see.

Halcyon one, cinch I assume, only works with Halcyon plate. It is an entire different system. Jenny will spend a lot of money for the switch, plate, cinch set, new webbing and possibly hardware's. Keep in mind H small plate has no cam slots, so add STA at least and possibly a new wing. As much as I like H stuff, it is not my recommendation.

Who says you have to get the Cinch? I’m running mine without the Cinch. You’re fine once you’ve got harness correctly adjusted.

Who says you have to get the Cinch? I’m running mine without the Cinch. You’re fine once you’ve got harness correctly adjusted.

Then what you are suggesting is just any basic harness, not unique time Halcyon by a long stretch. But it isn't an apple to apple comparison in Jenny's case.

Jenny has a DSS quick adjust/disconnect harness. Best resemblance I can find is dive rite deluxe harness

Dive-Rite Deluxe Harness

The apple to apple comparison in H is cinch. If you are tell her to swtich to a basic harness, it doesn't have to be Halcyon brand. Most other brands are the same at much lower cost. Granted H webbing is probably the best compromise between stiffness and flexibilities IMO, but if she like DSS webbing, she won't like H one. DSS is much more stiffer.

Then what you are suggesting is just any basic harness, not unique time Halcyon by a long stretch. But it isn't an apple to apple comparison in Jenny's case.

Jenny has a DSS quick adjust/disconnect harness. Best resemblance I can find is dive rite deluxe harness

Dive-Rite Deluxe Harness

The apple to apple comparison in H is cinch. If you are tell her to swtich to a basic harness, it doesn't have to be Halcyon brand. Most other brands are the same at much lower cost. Granted H webbing is probably the best compromise between stiffness and flexibilities IMO, but if she like DSS webbing, she won't like H one. DSS is much more stiffer.

She was asking if her DSS harness would work with H short plate. I meant for her to look at Halcyon PLATE to see if it would work with her DSS harness. I don’t care what harness she uses.

She was asking if her DSS harness would work with H short plate. I meant for her to look at Halcyon PLATE to see if it would work with her DSS harness. I don’t care what harness she uses.

That was exact my comment to why that will cost a lot more. H small plate has no cam slots, so she will need a STA and possibly a new wing of she has a DSS wing with the compression blocks

We need to start another thread about how local dive shops can save themselves (if they want to).
This thread is about small backplates.
Maybe that would be one trinket that dive shops could offer that the internet seems to have dropped the ball on.

Let me know if you start it.

I have no idea what the compression blocks are. I know I tried to put the wing on a dive rite travel harness and it wouldn't fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom