Small Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea what the compression blocks are. I know I tried to put the wing on a dive rite travel harness and it wouldn't fit.

Based on my previous ownership of Dss setup, the wing should line up with the plate and held there by two rubber nipple kind of things. The hole distance is 11", an industrial standard. So technically, any back plate should work. However, the slots on the plate needs to line up with the wing channel opening so the cam straps can come through. I guess dive rite travel pack doesn't work because the cam straps locations don't like up?

Another difference is DSS wing has two blocks of rubber pieces which help stablize the tank. They get in the way of STA. Without mod, they are not compatible with STA, thus not compatible with Halcyon small backplate.

Another difference is DSS wing has two blocks of rubber pieces which help stabilize the tank. They get in the way of STA. Without mod, they are not compatible with STA, thus not compatible with Halcyon small backplate.
The tank stabilizing block would have to be removed, then the wing would have a clean center panel and could be used with any back plate with a STA.
Tobin isn’t here anymore so I won’t get blasted for saying that.

The tank stabilizing block would have to be removed, then the wing would have a clean center panel and could be used with any back plate with a STA.
Tobin isn’t here anymore so I won’t get blasted for saying that.

Yes. That is exact what I mean by mod. Didn't want to spell out the removal detail.

But still to Jenny, if she was to buy Halcyon small AL plate, she will need to to add STA and wing mod. If her goal is to lose some weight for the rig, this route really isn't the best choice. STA is adding another 1-2lb. Not to mention H plate + STA will cost upward of $250. Oxycheq also makes a small AL plate with slots. If location matches, it should be a better choice for her purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom