Small Car Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 06 Mazda 3 hatch.

I use 2-3 half height rubber maid tubs to store wet/dry gear, have a welcome mat to put down for putting on drysuit and undergarments, and a Husky X Table ($50 @ Home Depot) for setting up/donning gear.

I can carry 5 tanks (doubles, 2-3 stages), my gear (BP/W, can lights, drysuit, exposure, camera rig) all in the hatch. The top cover gets my undergarments and such.

Unfortunately the X Table has to go in the back seat, along with my cooler and baggage. Could squeeze another diver in there (4 tanks/3 tubs). I usually have 11hr drives to where I dive, and get better mileage with the weight in the back driving through the mountains. I get around 650-700km/45L with gear, ~50km less without.

BRad

Dodge Caliber, handles two sets of dive gear with rear seats down. Including my doubles, stage, and a couple other tanks.

I store all my gear in a 60 gallon tote that fits nicely.

I can get 4 tanks, our drysuits, etc, plus my scooter, into a Prius C. Our other Prius can hold even more...Learn to pack!

I've gone for a weekend's diving with another person on a Mini cooper. Twinset plus single and pony (not sure I also took stage), all the other dive gear (dry suits, BP, Wing, regs, etc), extra clothes, sleeping bags and some food. It fits.

I have seen 3 divers in a rental Prius with 3 sets doubles & all the accouterments of cave diving. Looked tightly packed & the car sat low (maybe even on leaf springs), but the divers got it to work. I had a 1998 Toyota RAV4. I could get 4 sets of doubles or up to 12 AL cylinders in the back & other equipment in the back & front passenger seat.

I don't worry about the price of gas it is $0.50/litre here, about $1.89/US Gallon :D

I daresay if I was back in UK or Europe, I'd be running a VW diesel hatchback and not the 4 and 5 litre V8s that I currently own.

About the only car you should be worried about diving out of is a smart car. And don't let the name "mini" fool you they have tons of space.

I throw the front seat out of all my sedans because I have neither a life nor a family, and I can carry way more tanks, and balance them between the cab and the trunk.

You don't worry about loose tanks ricocheting around the cab in case of a rollover or a t-bone?

I prefer to stow my tanks in the trunk of my wagon, well secured underneath other luggage, and with a sturdy, secured metal grille covering the open space between the trunk and the top of the back seat backrest. But I'm a low-risk type of person...

Back
Top Bottom