Small Pole Spear / Lion Fish Killer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought something called an Accuspear AcuSpear I will let you guys know how it works. Looks pretty promising. I actually ordered it for m wife. Vengeance is hers.

OK, I dive with a foldspear too (though that lionfish tip is pretty useless IMHO....got rid of it and got a Triple tip). I also modified the carrier bag a bit to sling it across my chest clipped to my harness D rings, and added extra velcro, which works very well.

My regular buddy got a "zapper" - hope I've got the name right...looks like a pvc pipe with a pistol grip and sling with a short triple tip spear that comes out of the tube. She's very efficient and downright deadly with it.

Another friend has been using a short spear homemade of sharpened PVC with barbs with some success.

There's lots of ways to kill lionfish - I'm personally not fond of those short little spears. I like a couple feet of spear between me and the fish.

Force E in LBTS (Pompano) has yellow tri pronged pole spears that are pretty short. They're about 30 dollars and they say that if you kill 15 lionfish and have picture proof they will refund you the spear money :D

The accuspear is two parts. the spring loaded handle, and the threaded on spear "tip" which comes off WAY too easy IMO. First dive the tip came unscrewed upon descending, we lost it, and so we did not even get to shoot it once! We are awaiting the replacement optional stinger tip. This time I will apply thread-lock to the spear tip before my dive.. Better luck next time?

There is a much better solution that is coincidentally much cheaper. I am referring to the Donato 13" Symphony Conducting Baton Teardrop With White Shaft available on Amazon for $7.19 with free shipping.
Amazon.com: Donato Symphony Conducting Batons 13" Teardrop With White Shaft: Musical Instruments
If you saw Seinfeld episode #127, The Doll, you saw Frank Costanza and Kramer trying to play billiards in George's old bedroom. It was pretty awkward, until Kramer started using The Maestro's conducting baton as a pool cue which saved the day - just what you need to efficiently slaughter lionfish. There is no barb so you can just jabjab-KILL!, jabjab-KILL!, jabjab-KILL! until the lionfish get the idea and move to another neighborhood.
Also, if a bunch you are diving together, one diver can be designated as The Lead Conductor/Slaughterer and use his/her baton to orchestrate the killing spree.

:rofl3:

I thought of that, but I'm a 4/4 kind of guy and my buddy conducts in 3/4 time...the synchopation would throw my back out.

:rofl3:

I thought of that, but I'm a 4/4 kind of guy and my buddy conducts in 3/4 time...the synchopation would throw my back out.
You did not have to mention that you were a 4/4 kinda guy when you spelt "syncopation" with the extra "h" showing your deep-seated, longtime immersion in Chopin's Ballades. As for your buddy in 3/4 land, if you ever need your back dekinked after a dive, while you're lying there on the dock looking like a landlocked flounder flopping around in agony, he/she's going to be lost in humming "Wasted Away in Margaritaville" to him/herself and wondering if pouring a beer on you will help.

As for your buddy in 3/4 land, if you ever need your back dekinked after a dive, while you're lying there on the dock looking like a landlocked flounder flopping around in agony, he/she's going to be lost in humming "Wasted Away in Margaritaville" to him/herself and wondering if pouring a beer on you will help.

Ummm....actually, that may have already happened..(I admit nothing)....the beer didn't do much for my back, but DID put out the flames....long story involving Bach, Strauss, Axel Rose, and tequila.

And to paraphrase Freud, sometimes a mispelling is just...a mispelling.

Here's a chance to try out that speargun... saw a Lionfish on the Delray Wreck yesterday morning... please kill.
(I do not own a speargun.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom