small weight trim pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tceylan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for cheap solution for small weight pockets (max 5lbs each)
that attach to a 2 inch webbing. I need 4 of these: 2 for my weight
belt and 2 for my tank belt. Must hold a soft 1 lbs bag securely.

Any recommendations?

XS Scuba makes some nice pouches that will do what you are wanting. I have 2 of them. They hang on my tank bands on either side of the tank. They do the job, are simple and inexpensive.

Model WB101 is the single weight pocket and it holds hard or soft weight without issue.
http://www.xsscuba.com/weight_belts.html

I have the Trident and the XS Scuba pouches, and I like the XS Scuba ones much better. They hold the same amount of weight, but they are smaller and tuck into inconspicuous spaces better.

I added two of the XS scuba pouches to my harness and got rid of the weight belt. Very tidy. They also have a quick release model that allows the weight to fall out of the pocket after pulling on a tab.

XS scuba looks very cool and affordable, but

I used XS scuba weight belt before, and I accidentally dropped 1-2lbs soft weights when using these. These pockets have some unnecessarily large gaps which is a show stopper for me. I think it's even possible to drop a 2lbs soft weight.

I'll be using only 2-3 lbs in each pocket. And when I travel, I might
be using small hard or soft weights.

tceylan:
I'm looking for cheap solution for small weight pockets (max 5lbs each) that attach to a 2 inch webbing. I need 4 of these: 2 for my weight
belt and 2 for my tank belt. Must hold a soft 1 lbs bag securely.
With the possible exception of the word 'cheap' the Halcyon Trim Weight pouches are a great solution. They come in sets of two and I have two sets, to do just what you suggest you want. What I REALLY like about them is that not only do they have velcro on the flap closure, they also have a quick release buckle strap running from top to bottom for redundancy. These are not pockets that will allow weight to fall out unintentionally. Yet, you can ditch the weights if needed (or your buddy can if you pout them on the tanks bands (which is where I wear them). Most of the weight pockets I looked at were fine, excet they didn't have the buckle. Although I usually find the big H to be somewhat pricey, in this case you get what you pay for and it is well worth it.

i have OMS pockets. they can hold up to 5 lbs and be attached to 2" webbing either horizontally or vertically. i believe the model is BCA-269
$20 each

Are you into sewing?

Here's an idea for making your own.

Notice that the instructions are for a pocket that holds up to 4#, but it can be made larger to fit a 5# weight.

However, you'll notice that the corner gaps are too large for the 1# bags you specified. You might overcome this by adding an additional piece of the 3" webbing under the 2" webbing, so that the ends of the 3" webbing wrap around to create top and bottom flaps. Does that make sense? From the pix it looks like that would close up the corners enough to hold small bags, but you would have to do some calculations or trials to see for sure. I think the stiff 3" webbing would hold the 1 - 2# weights in at the corners, but if it won't you could put a little Velcro on it to hold the 3" flap down, in addition to the buckle.

Actually, if you do that (the 3" flaps) you might be able to replace the 2" webbing with 1" webbing, and, of course, use a 1" Fastex buckle instead of the 2". The 1" buckle is a little cheaper and easier to find (at least from what I've seen. Some of the local fabric stores carry 1" Fastex buckles, whereas I would have to mail-order 2").

Also, I would leave the tail on the 2" webbing loose so that it can be cinched down (the instructions show it sewn down for some reason). If you are worried about the buckle coming off, double-back the free end about 1/2 " and sew it, like they do on backpacks and stuff.

Oh, and use black thread. :wink:

UPDATE:

I just did some measurements, and a SeaPearls 5# hard weight is 3 1/2" X 3 3/4" X 1 1/2", so if you made the pocket with 3" flaps like I suggested above, you would have about a 3/8" X 1 1/2" hole in each corner. Probably too big for use with 1# soft weights.

So...

Take the design I linked in and add a 3 1/2 " length of 3" webbing on the inside, to create a small pocket-within-a-pocket? What do you think?

You didn't mention hard- or soft-weights, but I personally want to make some trim pockets that will work with either.

I use the XS Scuba Quick Attachment weight pockets as trim weights for my Halcyon BP/W and they work really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom