Smart Com Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tribaltim

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I just got my new Smart Com back from the dealer they ended up giveing me a brand new one. So I was on my second dive with it and it's already acting up again what gives? Before I get in it seems to work just fine but after a few minutes in the water the PSI goes from 3100 or so to 5400 and stays that way the whole dive. Now what's really weird is the fact that everything else seems to work just fine Depth, time, temp all that stuff. On top of that when I get out it goes back to normal reading of what's left in my tank like 800 PSI. What gives? The water temp here on Okinawa is 74 so I know it's not the temp. and it took me like two months to get my computer back the first time it was acting up I don't want to have to send it in again.

Tim

Mine screwed up once but the turn around was just two weeks. I'd send it back again.

Yes I suppose your are right. I just didn't want to face the truth it probably take so long because I live on Okinawa right now. It just sucks because I've only owned the thing for like 4 months now and half that time it's been gone. It's an awsome computer if it would just work correctly......

When mine broke we had a feeling it was because someone had dropped a weight or maybe a tank on it during a boat trip. My wife has about 200 dives on hers without any issues and mine has probably close to that by now.

Yep you're out in the sticks. That's the downside I guess.

tribaltim:
Yes I suppose your are right. I just didn't want to face the truth it probably take so long because I live on Okinawa right now. It just sucks because I've only owned the thing for like 4 months now and half that time it's been gone. It's an awsome computer if it would just work correctly......

That totally blows that it's still not working right for you (I remember the last time)... I would e-mail them your whole story, and maybe they'll send you something really fast, since this has happened to you twice now.

I have almost 70 dives with my smart com (I bought it last March) and mine has worked perfectly for me on every dive.

Good Luck!

You know it's really weird also because I'm very over protective of my equipment also so I try to treat it very carefully and for something like this to happen it really a kick in the balls so to speak. Yea maybe my dive shop could help me explain to them that this is the second time I've had this happen. Hey I have another question do you guys have the quick dissconnect? I do maybe I should request the one that has a solid connection could that possibly be the problem I mean I'm just trying to prevent this from happening again I can't think of why it would just freak out like that.....

I have the quick disconnect. I think you NEED that, for downloading the data. The data is essential... It has helped me be become a better diver. My breathing has improved by over .2 cu.ft./min thanks to the smart com's tracking data. Also, you can't adjust anything unless it's connected to the smart trak software.

Yea it is convenient so I do like it I suppose I just came accross some bad luck. I'll take it to the LDS and see what they say...

Can you ask for your $$ back and get something else? You figure that it will be at LEAST 4weeks before you get anything back specially around holiday time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom