SMB Inflation Method of Choice

Which method of SMB Inflation do you prefer?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DSMB or the website?
Certainly the website ( i can attest to that), can't imagine the DSMB being that non standard. Maybe its the fact that electronics and water don't mix well normally, but the vast majority of scuba related websites are far behind their non diving peers in UI & UX, uptime, and all the fun online metrics.

proof lol
Screenshot 2022-11-04 150850.png

Restarting this older thread because I was curious if anyone does it the way I do it.

I primarily drift dive and shoot an SMB on nearly every dive from the bottom (typically >60 feet). I have a self sealing open bottom, 7 foot XS-Scuba SMB. It's big but I'm not getting lost or run over. The easiest way I have found to shoot it is to use the exhaust valve on my BCD. I dump gas from my BCD in to the SMB. I can usually get it between 1/3 - 1/2 full. No change in buoyancy. I let the SMB go to the surface (attached to reel) and reinflate my BCD at the same time. I can do this while maintaining +-2 feet. SMB is fully inflated at the surface. I use my reel and line to time my ascent. Works every time. If my inflator vale failed for whatever reason I could still reach the surface by reeling myself up.

Anyone else do it this way? This is for single cylinder open circuit.
Sounds like a nice way to do it as you keep the same buoyancy.

The DSMB or the website?
The website. It's god-awful. The visitor has to be an SME (subject-matter expert) to navigate the site in the first place, and once the user hits a page with gear for sale, they discover a hodgepodge, with inconsistent and confusing labels on the merch and no discernable organizing schema. It's practically a "what not to do" example.

I'd be willing to wager money that Piranha's owner has lost sales because visitors can't be bothered to wade through the morass.

None of the above: use CO2 cartridges. Very simple, very effective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom